cradle cap...WWYD????

Discussion in 'Super Crunch' started by anni, Dec 26, 2005.

1. anni

anni Member

Brook is starting to get a nice head full of cradle cap. In the past I have always just left it, but this past summer Raynbow had a horrible head full of ....what looked like cradle cap.....that wouldn't go away without some strong OTC drugs.
    When she was an infant (many many moons ago) the dr said if I didn't do something about her cradle cap it might come back later and that seems to be what happened.
    So.........what would you or did you do for your babies cradle cap
    TIA
    anni
  2. notamos

notamos New Member

My doc told me to use vaseline and a comb on cradle cap (Molly had a pretty good case of it going for a while), but the idea of using that on her tender little head made me crazy. Instead I got one of those fairly soft baby hairbrushes and used almond oil. I saturated her head, waited about fifteen minutes for the oil to soften the flaky skin, then brushed and brushed (circles, side to side, forward and back) until her scalp started looking a little pink. Then a shower to get the oil and flakes out and repeat the next day. It took about a week to get all the cradle cap gone, but I took a night off every third day to let her scalp recover--I figured even a soft brush was probably scraping it up a little with all that vigorous brushing.

I know this is a fairly standard remedy for cradle cap, but it did work for us.
  3. Maura

Maura Gene Genie

I also used a soft baby brush but I used olive oil..maybe that was stupid, but it did work.
  4. TraceyH

TraceyH Following the Son!

I never did anything for any of mine other than combing. Katie had it pretty bad but while she nursed, I would just take the comb and run it through A LOT!! It never came back. She is 7 now.
  5. xyandz

xyandz Active Member

Olive oil and a comb worked well for us.
  6. chelle

chelle Prof. Thread Killah

I did this too at the recommendation of our pediatrician. Kathryn had cradle cap, but Lauren did not.
  7. Jenn4262

Jenn4262 Following my path

Another vote for olive oil here! Worked wonders :)
  8. Mamax4

Mamax4 Amity's Focus Member

That's all I ever did. I admire the mother who doesn't pick at it.

I could never not do it. :eek: I used to rub in the oil and gently pull it out when they nursed.
  9. marjen

marjen Go!

My youngest two (4 & 6 now) STILL have it - flares up when they are under the weather even a little bit. I use Aloe Vera and it always works! I have the greaseless formula you can buy for sunburns. I just rub it into their scalp after their shower. It does not stain their pillow, nor make their hair greasy.
  10. flamboozle

flamboozle Organizer Extraordinaire

I accumulated a little pile of dried scalp next to my rocking chair from picking at it while I was nursing. i used olive oil and didn't bother washing it out - look at it as added moisturizer. It absorbs into the skin and I just applied more when needed. I use to keep olive oil in a little spray bottle, to spray on their heads and bottoms.
  11. pj and the bear

pj and the bear New Member

I used a mushroom brush with a little shampoo during every bath (or when I remembered).
  12. CraftyMammaX5

CraftyMammaX5 Starbucks Addicted SAHM

I used selsun blue

I would just let them get comfy in bath then put a tiny bit on their heads.Id massage onto their scalp.Then Id go back softly over and over again with the tip of my nails.3 treatments and it was gone.
  13. Mamax4

Mamax4 Amity's Focus Member

LOL I hear that. I used to say I was a mother moneky--I mean, you always see primates picking buggies off of their friends and relatives. I have also decided all the massaging of the scalp duing such times stimulates brain growth. :)
  14. mammato4boys

mammato4boys Guest

My youngest son, Remington, had cradle cap for almost 3 full years. I never treated it and simply let it run it's course. Eventually it went away on it's own. :)
  15. jma924

jma924 New Member

We used Burt's Bees Apricot Oil....rubbed it on about a half hour before bath time. Then rubbed gently with a baby brush (the soft bristle kind)....then rinse. It might take a few applications, but it cleared up the cradle cap in less than a week with my youngest 2.
  16. Magoo

Magoo Springer fever!

Not the crunchiest method but it works....gerber makes something called gentle naturals (or something like that) cradle cap lotion and it works amazing! Annabelle even had it in her eyebrows and this stuff had it all gone in less than 3 days.
  17. LatteLover

LatteLover Amity's Focus Member

I didn't do anything with dd and it went away in a few months. With ds, I just ran a comb through it a few times a day and within a week it was gone. I felt kinda silly for not having done that with dd.