could dd actually be allergic to cloth diapers?

Discussion in 'Cloth Diapering' started by michmom, Feb 2, 2006.

1. michmom

michmom New Member

i know, i know, impossible, i've got to just vary my wash routine... i know what you're thinking. :)

she has always had a "mild" rash, just a little reddish, and we've always used cloth. i washed w/ biokleen, every 2-3 days or so, hot wash, 2 cold rinses, etc. etc. sometimes vinegar in a downy ball, i know the "drill". :) (ds was cloth diapered, too, and i never had a problem.)

well, i got it into my head that maybe sportswash would be better, would clear up the semi-redness, so i tried it, and it was worse! terrible red diaper rash (this may have been from other causes, too).

so i put her in disposables, and did lansinoh, aired out, cut out fruit juice etc., following advice from wise mams here. it cleared up, thankfully.

well, our babysitter put her in a cloth diaper, and she started getting a rash again!

soooo, (this is such a long, boring story) i re-washed all her dipes in biokleen to try to get rid of the sportswash, if that's what's causing it.

so i tried a dipe on her today and voila! the rash came back.

what's going on?
    thanks!
    alycia
  2. MamaJosie

MamaJosie Active Member

for some kids

I think the ammonia is the cause. Basically the urine itself. I dunno what kinda dipes you use and if a fleece is against the skin or all cotton but the sposies are just so much better at pulling the wetness away. My son welted with ANY cloth dipes, fleece liners or not, no matter the wash routinue. (but we did have very hard water, so that may have contributed to the problem if the dipes weren't getting clean enough). We even thought he might be allergic to the latex in the elastic for a while. It was a pita. We finally ended up in sposies full time and he was clear as a bell in them always. I wish I had some advice for you but I have no clue.
  3. Maura

Maura Gene Genie

I found that silk liners clear up a rash in no time. I wish I could remember where I bought some.....some online diaper store. Maybe some mom on here knows...
  4. michmom

michmom New Member

thanks for the response! yes, i do use a fleece-topped doubler layed in the dipe. *sigh*
  5. MomMom

MomMom Active Member

I can relate and I have no advice. I tried cloth with both of my children. They had the same problem with cloth and a severe reaction to fleece. They broke out in rashes from head to toe. We tried everything and spent tons of $$.We wound up in sposies too. So frustrating! :( :hug:
  6. Stargazer441

Stargazer441 Searching

nak I think LuxeBaby.com might sell silk liners? She used to be I can't recall if she still does.

With my oldest ds, I had to change him the minute he wet - as long as I did that, we were fine. If he stayed in a wet diaper for any length of time at all (no matter what kind of cloth diaper) he would get a rash. :( Course, he also reacted to sposies. :shake: He just has REALLY sensitive skin.

Oh, and at one point he got some sort of yeast infection on his bottom, I think that's what it was (we had to use athlete's foot cream to clear it up - does that sound right?) Anyway, the ped who told us to use that, also said that the diapers could harbor the ickies, and to boil them (yeah, as weird as that sounds) and then wash again and they should be okay. It worked. Of course, you don't want to do that with certain kinds of cloth diapers (like AIOs). But anyway...

Sorry you're having trouble! Hope you're able to figure it out soon, or take alternative action. ;)

ETA - Tushies makes some nice disposable diapers. :)
  7. Craftymom

Craftymom love to get creative....

Did you space out from when you used Biokleen to the sportswash, like a week in bewtween the change. Maybe she was having a problem with the detergents.... I use a little detergent then rewash once with vinegar and once alone.
    Sierra had the same problem, but once I did the multiple rinses she was fine..Good Luck HTH
  8. lillaurensmomma

lillaurensmomma Mustang Mama

Lauren had major rash issues with cloth no matter what we used, but only after 9 mo or so. She had blisters for a while it was so bad. She ended up in sposies full time.
  9. woman*mama*wife

woman*mama*wife Happy to be ALIVE!

Same thing happened to us with DD2.... we even wound up in the hospital with a rash that they were afraid had turned into cellulitis. Big open wounds...no matter what I did. I'd leave her naked ffor hours straight to "dry" her out.... washed the dipes in everything suggested by my fellow Mamas, etc. I did it all. After the above rash healed - we put her in sposies and that was the end of her rashes. I believe it was the ammonia/urine like the pp said.. I wish I had good advice for you... it was hard to face that we were done CD'ing her....but boy was her hiney glad we did.
  10. Dannielle

Dannielle Princess Nimble-Thimble

my guess is that it could be the detergent not getting fully rinsed out. Isn't biokleen one of those detergents that has enzymes?

Back when I was diapering Mason there was a big to-do about Arm and Hammer detergent adding enzymes to their detergent. Because the enzymes are intended to "eat" organic matter in the wash, if there is any detergent residue at all on the diapers urine activates the enzymes which then "eat" the child's skin...which is organic.

If that is what's going on I'd think a wash on super hot with vinegar...with plenty of swish room in the washer (like washing on the biggest load setting but only filling the washer half way with dipes) should help.

That's my best guess...
  11. treecitydiapers

treecitydiapers New Member

Linda from HH's said her kid had a horrible reaction to sportswash. What do you wash your kids clothing in?
  12. michmom

michmom New Member

thanks, all! i will investigate the silk liners, although it's a constant problem, which gets worse from time to time, iykwim, not just a problem from time to time.

so now i'm going to do a super hot wash on vinegar and another alone. with lots of extra room in the washer, then we'll see.

molly, i don't know what "HH" is? i know you mentioned that before to me-- thanks! i always thought "no one" would be allergic to sportswash, but i guess i was wrong.

i've always washed all our clothes, towels, etc. in biokleen. i did try a few others-- ecover, seventh generation (i think? i can't remember) and i didn't like it as much as biokleen.

thanks!
    alycia
  13. quidnunc

quidnunc Member

Along with boiling (but not the fitteds! You might melt the snaps and elastic!) you might try Calgon water softener. It comes in both powder and liquid, and should be by the detergents or other additives like Borax, color-safe bleach, etc. I can only find the powder locally. Supposedly it strips the detergent residue off of the diapers. I did notice that no matter how I dried mine after using the water softener, they weren't as stiff and the super ammonia morning diapers didn't smell nearly as bad.
    http://www.calgon.us/ they have pictures of the liquid and powder packages so you can know what to look for. Good luck!
  14. Victoria

Victoria Member

Your diapers may be harboring yeast, and when she gets irritated by the ammonia the yeast can take hold and flourish. Yeast is actually starting to get resistant to boiling, which is amazing. It actually develops a hard shell the hot water can't penetrate unless you boil them literally for hours. A quicker fix is the microwave. I've also had really, really good luck with the sun. Even laying the wet diapers out inside in the sunlight through a window.
  15. joy

joy rising up

thrush can live in CDs and cause a rash. you have to put GSE in the wash with them. we did that as part of our routine to get rid of it. for a while i didn't realize it was thrush b/c it wasn't on my nipples or her mouth...just a bad diaper rash. and yes it was way worse when she was in cloth until we completely got rid of the yeast in me (which gave no symptoms but was libving in my gut and milk)and GSE'd the dipes.

good luck.
  16. Kerrilynn62000

Kerrilynn62000 New Member

How much Grapefruit Seed Extract did you use??
  17. thrillhouse

thrillhouse Active Member

if there is an ammonia odor as soon as the dipe is peed in, it's definitely a detergent build up. strip those dipes and i bet the rashes will end.

what kind of washer do you have? i had detergent build up from my front loader, and i used less than 1 tablespoon in the wash and always did a second full wash with no detergent.
    now in my top loader, I was able to see the buildup problems we had and it's all been corrected now.
  18. thrillhouse

thrillhouse Active Member

oh, i just noticed your wash routine.

try a cold rinse first, then the HOT wash, followed by a hot/warm rinse. cold rinses are not very useful for getting the detergent residue out.
  19. momof4

momof4 I think I can............

I can totally relate Mama! With my last ds who is now 3, we had the same problem. Only it didn't really start until he was over 10 months or so. I tried everything mentioned above, even switched to just prefolds for a while. Nothing, absolutely nothing worked.

I think his urine is just so acidic that it seems to literally burn his bottom. When taking a cloth diaper off him, his butt cheeks would look as if he'd just sat in a tub of boiling hot water. We switched to sposies full time by the time he was 2. Even now, every now and then I'll throw a cloth on him if I run out of sposies and it still happens. I've thought about going to cloth again since he's starting to learn to use the potty, and he's running around a lot without a diaper, but he just gets too sore. I can't do that to him. I guess it's time to finally sell our diapers. :sigh: The end of an era....I've been cloth diapering since 1998.:sob:
  20. joy

joy rising up

i dumped a 1/4 cup in with the wash. all my diapers fit in one wash and i feel it helped get rid of our problem.

if you have lots and lots of diapers you may have to buy a couple bottles of GSE.