Cook Books?

Discussion in 'Food and Cooking' started by iluvvla818, Jun 11, 2009.

1. iluvvla818

iluvvla818 New Member

Where does eveyone find their recipes... do you get them from cook books, blogs/websites, family,... ?

I get most of mine from blogs or websites... for me it's the easiest and fastest to find exactly what I'm looking for online.
  2. Tremor Christ

Tremor Christ Amity's Focus Member

Friends or family mostly.
    Or I usually just make stuff up.
    For baking tho when I need more exact measurements I look stuff up at all recipes.
    I have a ton of cook books I should sell I guess because I will probably never use them.
  3. artemis33

artemis33 Amity's Focus Member

everywhere! online, magazine, friends...I have loads of cookbooks too - though I admit I probably only use about 1/4 of them regularly.

Some favorites:
    cook's illustrated 1000 Best Recipes (their mag is great too)
    Martha Stewart - website, magazine, Everyday Food, even her cookbooks
    Sunset Magazine (they have a website and cookbooks too)
    allrecipes.com

or just searching online if I have something in mind. There are definitely some great blogs out there!
  4. Gaga

Gaga New Member

I use many cook books, my Grandma's recipe box, the internet, family and friends. I have so many cook books that they are on shelves all over the house. My favorite book is a mid 50's Betty Crocker for good basic cooking and baking. I'm using that as part of my "learning cooking" with my 9 yr. old DGD. She really likes to have the book right in front of her as we go along. The recipe box is a god send to me as it contains the collected recipes of three generations of my family.

I really like Allrecipes.com they have such a wide range of choices. I printed up so many from there and TVFood network that I made up a seprate note book.

I love cook books so much I read them like you would a novel.:)
  5. ~noodlefrog~

~noodlefrog~ Lovin' life

Mostly cookbooks. I have about half a dozen that I use all the time, and about 10-15 more that get somewhat regular use. Then a few more that have certain recipes or that I think I might want if my cooking style evolves that direction. I have a bookshelf in the kitchen with two shelves of cookbooks and one of arts and crafts books.

Then I have a notebook with plastic slip-in pages full of family recipes and others I have collected from "around". (There is box of wannabe's that have not earned their way in there yet.)

I use the internet for lots of technique and the occasional recipe I don't have but want. It can be a little hard to sort when you are in a hurry, but there is great stuff out there. I think I could move to lots of online recipes once I have computer in the kitchen and it has some kind of screen I don't have to worry about taking up counter space or, most importantly, getting food on it. Ah, the future will bring wonders like on-demand recipes displayed to the backsplash!
  6. tarablesue

tarablesue ~PeAce~

When I started cooking, I used LLL Whole Foods for the Whole Family as a staple. I still use it , just not as frequently.
    I enjoy Rachel Ray cookbook's but a lot of her stuff you can find online.
    I have a binder that i started printing and collecting recipes in, and over the years it has become my go to book.
  7. artemis33

artemis33 Amity's Focus Member

I forgot to mention Alice Waters' book The Art of Simple Food. It offers good explanations of basic techniques.
  8. cathleenc

cathleenc dirty. good dirt.

I use half cookbooks and half internet recipes - can't imagine giving either one up!

a good thing about using a cookbook is that you can develop an opinion of that writer's style and how you match up with them. For example, anything Marcela Hazan writes I've learned to follow exactly precisely - she is better than I'll ever dream of being and following her recipes precisely yields heavenly results. Most other recipes - I'll read then take off in my own direction. But Marcela is the queen!

Can't imagine living without Joy of Cooking, both editions. Use them very often. Absolutely wearing out 'Joy of Pickling' at the moment. Alice Waters 'Vegetables' gets heavy use as does 'Victory Garden Cookbook.' I have an odd assortment of game cookbooks to come up with different strategies for cooking all the rabbit, goose, and duck that we eat. Love 'The Cake Bible'.

Can't say that my ethnic cookbooks get much of a workout these days despite the boys burgeoning tastes. Maybe should let them pick a country and cook something from their choice to try out new things.
  9. Elvise

Elvise New Member

Hi Iluvvla,
    Agree with you and like to say internet is the best source of finding recipes so those who are new in kitchen must spend some time on internet and Google to get their desired recipes. Wish new comers luck!
  10. bugatti

bugatti New Member

i find my recipes in websites