Considering what to do with Stephanie in the fall

Discussion in 'Alternative Learning' started by Maura, May 18, 2009.

1. Maura

Maura Gene Genie

So, she will not be returning to PreK in the fall. She will turn 5 in October. I have never done any homeschooling before, but I may want to do something informal with her since she will be home all year. Any ideas?
  2. Maura

Maura Gene Genie

Anyone??
  3. nanci

nanci jelly belly

Animal worlds.....cannot remember the curriculum name...Hmmm...OH, it's Winter promise. You could keep the price lower by borrowing books from the library!
  4. Maura

Maura Gene Genie

Thanks! I'll check it out.
  5. annb

annb It's like herding cats.

The Handwriting Without Tears book for 4-5 year olds. And some cheap workbooks like they sell at Walmart or Borders or someplace like that. And lots of books from the library.
  6. jma924

jma924 New Member

How about something like Before Five In A Row?
  7. DixieChick

DixieChick One Hot Mama!

With that age, I'd do some explode the code, and lots of reading. Maybe some simple math manipulatives. Check out Ruth Beechick's books. She has great ideas and very simple.
  8. nanci

nanci jelly belly

I forgot my favorite...what we did with Izzi. Five in a Row. Really really easy and lots of reading and FUN! Also, cheap!:lol:
  9. SnowWhite

SnowWhite New Member

Andrew's birthday is Sept 25 and he will be doing the Animals and Their Worlds theme from WinterPromise. I also ordered him their Basic Phonics K Language Arts Program and a Bob Jones Math K5 program. I can't wait to start this stuff with him. It looks so *cute* compared to the third grade stuff his brother will be doing (Don't get me wrong, I am thrilled to be studying the Civil War and the 20th century with him, but there's just something so much fun about kindy stuff).
  10. Maura

Maura Gene Genie

Thanks for all of the suggestions:)
  11. harvestgirl

harvestgirl escape to chimp eden!

The least I can do is speak out for those who cann
    also starfall.com is great for reading/games ~ and enchantedlearning.com has more printables than you can imagine :)
  12. stephanielynn

stephanielynn New Member

subbing because dh and i will be swapping off staying home with the kids and working, and we were just trying to find pre-k homeschool type ideas/activities/curriculum...whatever. he actually brought it up that he'd love to have some specific informal learning time on his days with the kids. go honey!
  13. Bonknbug

Bonknbug New Member

This is a great thread for me too. My ds will be five in Oct. as well, and I've been looking for stuff to start with him, so we are in the same boat. These are some great ideas to start with. Thanks.
  14. clane

clane Bookish Mama

Literature Based Unit Studies Gu has some free unit studies. You could try a few to see if that style of learning/leading fits your agenda before you spend the money for FIAR.
  15. Victoria

Victoria Member

I can tell you what my 4 year old does, but it will seem like a lot more than it is. I usually load up her workboxes for the day is 8-9 things and she picks out what she wants to do from those. I include an equal mixture of workbooks and activities (Lauri number puzzles, letter puzzles, HWT wood pieces, geoboards, etc. She is a workbook fanatic though, so I really have to keep a lot of stuff on hand for her to do. I'm very, very low pressure at this age and I would not think to make her do any of this (except for maybe the OPG which we do most days.) I love this age when they're so excited about learning, and I want to maximize that for her. She's having a blast!

Phonics: Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading, Pre-ETC (moving into ETC,) MCP Plaid Phonics Books K/A, Bob Books, MCP Phonics readers, any other phonetic readers we can find.

Singapore Earlybird Math

Rod and Staff Preschool Series

Handwriting Without Tears
  16. waterlily

waterlily arrived

For that age I work through Phonics Pathways, do easy readers from the library, use a letter of the week curriculum where she makes letter books that she can cut and paste, daily art. Admittedly I am weak on math. I just use manipulatives to play with. . . counting bears, linking cubes, pattern blocks, all she needs to learn is basically to count to 20, basic calendar work, seasons, weather. There are a million free worksheets online. Have fun with it, no stress. Read a lot of books, go to library story time. Get some wee sing tapes. Learn animal sounds and homes. Learn about the community. I prefer zaner-bloser to HWT but I honestly think learning to spell their name, address, phone number is sufficient for pre-k. Free hand on blank paper, with finger paint, in sand, with glitter glue. Will she go to K in 2010? It might be worth asking a K teacher what they expect. I liked b4fiar but honestly you could get good books from the library and then expand them with crafts and talk about them a little and you've got the basic idea. There even math type books at the library. Some children's sections have a math section.
  17. Maura

Maura Gene Genie

Thanks:) I'm pretty lax when it comes to "teaching" at home- i just let Ava do her thing and when she went to school she caught up without a problem. But I see all of these children being taught so much so early and it makes me feel like a bad mom, yk? I guess I'm old school (pun lol) because I remember when kids went to school around age 5/6 and had not done any homeschooling before that. Obviously we read a ton and play games, but I have little patience for sitting and doing school work.
  18. waterlily

waterlily arrived

I don't think you're lax at all. I was going by you were saying she was 5 in Oct. I feel many children aren't ready to read until 7. My 4 (now 5) yr old begs for "school" so I did more with her but with the now 7 yr old we didn't do a thing until she was 5.5 and then it was just phonics pathways and letter of the week cut and paste books, zaner-bloser handwriting, and b4fiar. I think it's crazy that some schools expect kids to go to K all day and graduate reading. That's just asking certain children who aren't ready to fail early on. I am very against mandated schooling at preschool age. More school earlier isn't going to solve our educational problems. OK off soapbox!