Conserving Energy

Discussion in 'Mama's Simplifying and Thrift forum' started by Briefaerie, Sep 18, 2006.

1. Briefaerie

Briefaerie New Member

What do you do to conserve energy? How many kwh's a month does your family use and how many people live in the house?
  2. stephanielynn

stephanielynn New Member

i don't know the answer to the kwh question b/c dh takes care of all of our finances.

to conserve, i
    keep lights off and open blinds all day
    AC at 78 with ceiling fans when needed

nothing much, but i know this little bit helps.
  3. my2girlz

my2girlz Amity's Focus Member

When I don't have to run the A/C we avg around 900kwh We are a family of 5 in 2500 sq ft split level house.

We are entering the cooler months now so I'm opening the curtains and blinds to let the warm sunlight in. I also am waiting for full loads of laundry before I run the washer and dryer. Same goes for the dishwasher. Turn all lights off when not using. turn tv off more often. unplug stuff that I don't use on a reg. basis like the toaster.
  4. jma924

jma924 New Member

I don't have this month's power bill to check, but if memory serves me correctly, we average around 40 kw per day. Our bill runs $130 during the summer/winter months and $90-100 during the fall and spring. We are a family of 6 living here (3 adults, 3 kids)....plus we homeschool and I do in-home daycare, so there's generally always someone here. We keep the a/c on 77 during the summer and the heat on 61-62 during the winter. We live in a 6 year old, 1500 sq. ft., 2 story home in NC. Everything in our home (appliances, water heater, heat pump, etc) runs on electricity (no gas). We try to turn all lights off whenever possible; we turned our water heater down to 115 degrees; we keep the shades tilted up during the summer to keep the heat from the sun out....during the fall and winter, we open the shades to let the heat in! Last year we applied extra weather-stripping around all outside doors. Next spring we hope to install an attic vent, which should help keep our 2nd story cooler.
  5. Briefaerie

Briefaerie New Member

I realized our bill is just out of control. We used over 4200 kwh's last month(33 day bill) and it was $520!! We're now cutting back on using everything. I turned the hot water heater WAY down, am hand washing dishes, line drying more clothes, turning the a/c off as much as possible etc. We're using 40-60 kwh a day now. I sure hope we can keep it low even through the winter.

I can't imagine keeping our house 60 in the winter though..is that too cold for a baby? I am definitely keeping it at least 70.
  6. juliebelle

juliebelle taking pictures

we have a family of 4...a very inefficient two story house that has an open living room to the second floor (looks great but sucks for heating and cooling a house). We live in Ga.

here are some of our avgs
    jan 2000 kwh
    mar 1500 kwh
    may 1500 kwh
    june 1800 kwh
    july 2000 kwh
    aug 1800 kwh
    nov 1400 kwh

Oh...we have electric heat/air and no gas for cooking...all electric.
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2006
  7. onlyboys

onlyboys New Member

We used 2569 kilowatts last month. We have a gas stove/oven and a gas water heater. I cannot keep the air off, it reaches temps of 95 in my house with the air ON!

We do use the clothes line quite a lot. And, we wash only full loads of clothes, and dishes.

There are 6 of us in this house.
  8. Shannon

Shannon Amity's Focus Member

I learned something new today, and I'll be checking the next bill. :lol:
  9. juliebelle

juliebelle taking pictures

what'd you learn?
  10. Mamax4

Mamax4 Amity's Focus Member

I am really bad here. We have a hot tub outside & rub it in the winter. :eyes: I do havbe guilt about that, and last year after the New Year, I did drain it and shut it down. I also try to limit my AC use, but I still hate to sweat. I try to keep it low, but sometimes I do use it when I might try harder not to.

I do have have some energy appliances, and I do sometimes hang towels and such outsside when it's breezy and nice.

I recyle, I reduce, I don't get newspapers, and I walk a lot in town, But I do like my AC when it's really hot, and I do enjoy the hot tub when I am aching.

It's an ongoing struggle for me.
  11. JenTwo

JenTwo Not really here...

How far are you willing to go to conserve energy? :p

Learning more about how to make your home passive solar (even if it isn't built to be passive solar) is a start.
    Plant trees around your house. In the summer it can make the air around your home up to 7 degrees cooler. In the fall/winter when leaves are gone the sunlight can hit the house warming it.

Use heavy curtains on windows.
    Hang quilts on exterior walls.
    Place insulation in your outlets/light switch. Electrical outlets allow air to escape from the home.
    Check your doors and windows for a proper seal. Fridge and freezer, too.
    Lower the temp of your water heater.
    Hang clothes. Even in the winter this can be done. Actually, if you hang your laundry in the bedrooms at night it adds moisture to the dry winter air.

Clean out the lint trap in your dryer.
    Wash dishes the old fashion way.
    Does your electric company have a time of use program?
    Set the winter thermostat lower and wear more clothing to compensate. It won't make you sick.
    Install a water heater blanket
  12. Briefaerie

Briefaerie New Member

VERY far now! I had just gotten lazy but I'm back at it now! I just turned on my a/c for the first time today just so the house will be cool for us to sleep. The good thing is that it's just starting to cool off here...makes using less easier.
    I planted trees when we moved in here so there are quite a few...we don't own this house but when I move there will be shade(probably fruit bearing shade hee) trees everywhere!
    I have tried weather stripping but it always comes off and then I'm annoyed...is there a trick to it?