Cloth diaper question

Discussion in 'Cloth Diapering' started by Twisti, Jun 5, 2005.

1. Twisti

Twisti ......................

Really im not trying to be a bitc* or sound I dunno whatever....but why do most cloth diapers cost so much...not saying anything about anyone here, but just from research....I mean, I know they are a bit time comsuming to sew and special fabric isnt cheap, but some are over 20.00 for one...I dunno i just dont understand...Even the best ones couldnt cost in fabric and all more than 6 or 7 bucks right? Anyway just wondering...
  2. starkisses

starkisses Amity's Focus Member

here is my thought on some cloth diapers from looking at prices like youve brought up .... the name can have a big impact on things ... just like a tshirt is the same as another tshirt yet if it has tommy, nike, reebok ect "name brand" it jacks the price up ... along with reputation of quality making one more saught(?) out then another ... so supply and demand can also impact things

just my thoughts as it pretty much deals with everything and just not cloth when it comes to prices and actual production costs
  3. Twisti

Yeah your probably right...im new to the cloth diapering world, so i dont know a thing about names lol...but it does make perfect sense...
  4. lillaurensmomma

lillaurensmomma Mustang Mama

Ever tried to sew one? ;) I never understood the prices of cloth diapers until I tried to sew my own. I'm a fairly competent sewing mama, but that thing drove me to the edge...I ended up trashing the whole thing after a few hours. Personally, I'm pretty cheap when it comes to diapers. I like to get them gently used but I can understand why WAHMs charge what they do. There is a lot of time involved in creating a pattern, buying and shipping fabric (snaps, elastic, etc), as well as the actual sewing of the diaper. Even minimum wage is over $5/hr :) I know once these mamas get good at the pattern they can do them pretty quickly but you have to consider all the time it took to draft the pattern, get the materials, package and ship...it all adds up!
  5. Twisti

Actually yeah im making some now...yeah my own pattern and yeah they pretty much look like pooh, lol...but i totally understand that...see it takes me ages to make one....cause i pretty much dont know what im doing, so i assume that someone who does know what they are doing would be able to make them much faster....but anyway...just getting view or whatever youd call it about it lol....
  6. LatteLover

LatteLover Amity's Focus Member

A lot of cloth diapers take a half hour to an hour to sew (cutting fabric, prewashing fabric, drying fabric, cutting the pattern out, attaching elastic, finishing, adding labels, adding snaps/aplix), with experience. Add it all of your overhead costs and there really isn't as much profit there as you are thinking there is. $20 is pretty darned reasonable for a handmade item.
  7. Twisti

Maybe they just seem so high cause im so poor lol.....
  8. Shoshoni

Shoshoni New Member

Stuck in the neverending cycle of cleaning
    Elastic, material, thread, snaps or applix, wear and tear on the machine and scissors, time, sewing machine needles, etc. It is really not a large profit depending on where the materials are purchased. :( That is why I gave up before I started.
  9. Shoshoni

Shoshoni New Member

Stuck in the neverending cycle of cleaning
    I remember thinking that when I first started. It especially seems high when it is the only child a person will have, or if it is their last child. For someone that has a family that will grow more, it ends up cheaper in the long run since the diapers can be re-used. Plus, you won't have to drive out to buy more diapers because you can wash when they get low.
    I have switched back to sposies, but we always end up back with cloth because of the convenience and environmental factor. :)
    Also, the cloth seem like more because it is a large amount to spend at one time, but with sposies you pay less money but more often. Really sposies are a LOT more in the long run.
    Sure, there is wear and tear on the washer and extra soap, but diapers can be line-dried and washing is still cheaper than the gas and garbage removal and constant purchase of throw-away wipes and dipes. :happy:
  10. Twisti

Oh i totally agree....paying some money up front for good cloth diapers is sooooooooooooooooooooo much cheaper in the long run compaired to throw aways...
  11. Gronilot

Gronilot Ella of Frell

And don't forget- you can sell them when you are done for 50%-75% of what you paid if they are in decent condition. And most that are well made will hold up.

Factor that into your decision. I have bought used diapers on eBay and resold them for same amount that I paid for them when my baby grew out of them.
  12. 4forMe

4forMe Used to be Mamax3

You can cloth diaper cheaply using CPFs and a pro wrap cover. The fancy diapers cost a lot, and are ADORABLE, but I am not paying $20/diaper and up for something that my child will poop in.

I use Motherease diapers and covers, pricey but I've used the same ones on 2 children in the past and am on my 3rd child in them. A few of them are showing some wear but most of them are in great condition, so they were worth every penny.
  13. brayg

brayg Evil Genius

:ditto:

I really don't have a clue how much profit I actually make after deducting things you don't think of like thread, snaps, needles, scissors, marking pens, electricity, gas to get the fabric, gas to the post office, website charges, packing materials, water/electricity/wear and tear on my washing machine/dryer (to prewash the fabrics), the time I take to answer every email from every customer, the time to take pics of the fabric and keep my site current, the time to shop for more fabric (IRL and online), shipping charges on fabric, time to cut the fabric, screwing something up and fixing it or starting over, fabric waste (there is so much waste it kills me, even though I cut very carefully), etc. I'm probably not really making much.

But...being a wahm is awesome and rewarding and I wouldn't want any other job!! :)
  14. chrissymama

chrissymama Amity's Focus Member

also some of the fabrics used these days (like organic velour) are really expensive.

cloth diapering can definitely be done across a large spectrum-from prefolds and pro-raps to the super-hyena diapers and wool covers on ebay.

:)
  15. Twisti

While we are on the subject...whats the difference from a fitted and AIO?
  16. brayg

brayg Evil Genius

An AIO has a waterproof layer sewn in (which increases the price a lot because the fabric is more expensive and it adds a layer to the diaper). A fitted needs a cover to be waterproof. :)
  17. Sunflower_Momma

Sunflower_Momma "Christian"

I've made them before and they are a PITA to make. I was talking to a friend who makes them and she told me that, in all likelihood, many mamas who sell them are actually LOSING money.

Now, as for a wool cover going for $30+, naaahhh, that's market demand, not cost plus labor.
  18. chrissymama

chrissymama Amity's Focus Member

unless it's knitted wool. knitting takes a looooong time.
  19. Sunflower_Momma

Absolutely true!

I was talking about wool jersey. I - with my lame sewing skills - can whip up a wool jersey cover in less than an hour.
  20. Sunflower_Momma

Somewhat disagree here - I believe this is absolutely true if you buy the big names. But if you buy smaller names, you won't get even close to this.

Buy some kissaluvs for $11/each and resell them for $8/each

Buy some XYZ wahm for $11/each and they'll end up going out FFS

Which sucks!! Because I like the XYZ dipes