Cloth diaper help?

Discussion in 'Cloth Diapering' started by JessieKaitlin, Mar 22, 2009.

1. JessieKaitlin

JessieKaitlin New Member

I really want to cloth diaper my daughter. From all the research online, it seems there are many many options.
    With me staying home, we really need to get the most diaper for the dollar.

I really like the sound of the ones that grow with the child, but if there is a better, cheaper, alternative, I wouldn't kick it to the curb.

Plus, if there are tips on washing, wet/dry pails, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks!
  2. bubbles

bubbles New Member

There is no one right answer. There are a lot of options because people prefer so many different things. Cost wise, prefolds and wraps are the best way to go. When the baby is tiny you can fold a prefold into a wrap cover and just put it on w/ out a snappi or pins. As they get a bit bigger you need something to secure the diaper and then put on the wrap. You would need to buy more wraps and diapers a few times as the baby grows.

The ones that grow w/ the child are super bulky at the beginning. It takes awhile for them to grow into them where they fit well. I do know that some of the ones that grow w/ the child also wear out before you are finished diapering so they aren't truly a one time investment.

If I had it to do all over again I would go w/ prefolds as a little baby. When those weren't working so well I would switch to Bumkins AIO's. They aren't the most absorbant but they are trim, fit well, and last super long. I pretty much did that w/ ds2 for any diapers that I did buy for him but most of his were hand me downs from ds1.

You will get lots of opinions and it is hard to just make a choice and know it is ideal for you.

Good luck!
  3. marcid

marcid New Member

I agree - start with prefolds. I used the infant size on dd when I started cd at 7 weeks with her. I folded them in thirds and laid it in a Bummis Whisper Wrap. It was easy. When I switched to the premium prefolds, they were more bulky and I had to snappi them. Now my dd is 14 months and I prefer a fitted diaper (I personally am not a fan of os unless you have more than one child in diapers) so I use Snugglebottoms with a doubler and I just sent my prefolds out to be converted into fitteds. Tammy at Tinkle Traps does them and they are reasonably priced. I got them without closures so they should fit until she's potty trained. If you go with OS, my friend likes Growing Greens. Good luck!
  4. JessieKaitlin

JessieKaitlin New Member

Thank you both!!

I do have a few more questions...
    I'm basically seeing that there are four types of cloth diapering.

All in ones
    Fitted
    Prefold
    Pocket

With which of those does everything need washed vs which the cover can be reused for the next diaper change.
    Sorry if this is a dumb question. No one around me even thinks about cloth diapering, so I've never been exposed to it.
  5. Amanda412

Amanda412 New Member

I hope this helps!

All in ones: one use, easiest to use, longest to dry

Pockets: one use, they need to be stuffed, and (on most) the wet insert needs to be removed before washing.

Fitted: one use, requires a cover, cover can be reused, but you should alternate covers, to let them air dry.

Prefold: one use, cheapest, requires a cover, cover can be reused, but you should alternate covers, to let them air dry.
  6. momof4girls

momof4girls New Member

I made fitteds while I was pregnant but they were too big. So I ended up using pfs, and have stuck with those. Also, I noticed pfs were easier to wash and faster to dry and sun the stains out.
    I do have some motherease one size that are pretty nice...though I save those for lazy days, too squirmy a baby or daddy to use. They still require a cover (which the motherease airflow covers-snaps, and mother ease rikki wraps- velcro, are awesome!). mother-ease. com (without the spaces) They also have a buy/sell forum there.
    Though, lately, I have started using flats as well. Mostly use receiving blankets as the flat.
    VERY easy to clean, rinse, dry. Can also snappi them. Very adjustable in size from nb to older child. CAn add liners, doublers, another trifolded rcving blanket or pf as needed. Requires a cover too.
  7. JessieKaitlin

JessieKaitlin New Member

Thank you both!!
  8. quidnunc

quidnunc Member

Don't discount flats, either. They take a little bit more work since you have to fold them but they're super cheap and dry really fast, too.
    Old Fashioned Package
  9. JessieKaitlin

JessieKaitlin New Member

I just ordered some prefolds and covers... I'm excited!! I hope this works out okay!!
    I'm already told myself, I'm going to at least use them for two months. Because if I change my mind after that, I won't really have wasted any money.