Cloth diaper drop-outs sign in here please.....updating for Dishka

Discussion in 'Cloth Diapering' started by Erica, Mar 23, 2005.

1. Erica

Erica Amity's Focus Member

m
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2007
  2. branwyn

branwyn fasting and cleansing

email me if you want to stay in touch - madhousema
    we also couldn't do it when sarah or lyl were newborns. we went back at 4 months and it's much easier (maybe 4 months is the magick age for cding to get easier??)
    :big hug:
  3. LatteLover

LatteLover Amity's Focus Member

Okay, I have to admit. I couldn't get my cloth diapers to work until DD was about a month old. DEFINITELY try again later. Yes, I know... I will be buying a couple packs of tiny pampers for that first month.

Emily
  4. starkisses

starkisses Amity's Focus Member

i dropped out before caden even arrived ... i built a stash then i knew it wasnt our time to go with this, i knew i wouldnt have the full support or help from mike and id have to do everything and go forward clueless .. so i sold off my stash i have a few diapers still but i think with the next babe if we esp have our own place it maybe different
  5. Claire

Claire New Member

Beth was a preemie and she's in disposables b/c she is just too small for the dipes I bought. I was so sure she was going to be a big baby I only bought mediums. :rolleyes: We're going to try to make the switch when she gets a little bigger
  6. tandemmama

tandemmama I should be cleaning

It could be as simple as how you're washing them.

I had a similar problem, changed my washing routine and it was fixed.

Go through a couple of packs of sposies and then see how you feel :)
  7. ForeverGreen

ForeverGreen Living Life

We cloth diapered from about 1 month until DS was around 1. Then we started cloth diapering again when he was almost 2 and quit again several months ago (he's 2 1/2 now). We won't be going back at this point (he'll be potty training soon anyways).

I loved it when he was a baby, but the older he got the harder it got.
  8. lillaurensmomma

lillaurensmomma Mustang Mama

We're teetering on the edge here...

Tara is in cloth about 75% of the time now (big improvement over just a few weeks ago lol). I was determined to have her in cloth full time, but when she was born she was too small for my stash (I thought she'd be bigger than Lauren was so I only bought smalls). Then when she finally got big enough to fit into things, she peed through everything! Lauren was NOT a heavy wetter, so this has been really tricky for me. I really want to continue cloth, but I too am getting sick of the constant outfit changes (both her and me), etc. We're going on vacation for a week and a half and using only disposibles...I'm so hoping I don't get hooked!

j
  9. BlueRoseMama

BlueRoseMama Amity's Focus Member

When I dare to be powerful -- to use my strength i
    I used both for 3 months and then offically went to CD all the time. I didn't have the trouble you are having... but at the same time, I decided to use both becuase buying so many TINY dipes just didn't make sense to me when I would be buying more as soon as she got a little bigger anyway. lol...

Love Val
  10. Megmama

Megmama Happy Happy Joy Joy

I have my baby girl in cloth full time but had to take Elijah out of it..it irritates his butt too much and I was dealing with horrendous rashes. I think it might be the way I wash the fuzzi bunz (which is all he'll wear) so as soon as I "fix" them I will try again. I have too busy of a week this week. I want Eli in cloth so he will train sooner..so right now I've got one in and one out. Irony: Miss Fat butt fits in size M and so does my skinny boy!
  11. Barb

Barb Moderator Staff Member

add us
    I cd'd Zoey from 4mos til she potty learned at 3

Roman was in cloth from 12 hours old til two weeks ago. We're in disposables full time now and haven't had a rash in ..um...two weeks.

His poor butt deserved to stop hurting.
  12. Amethyst

Amethyst New Member

Have you tried wool with fitteds? I'm a true wool addict! LOL! Fuzzi Bunz are good and we still use them some, too, but really, wool is IT! Wool soakers fit such a variety of baby shapes, too. I just love how we had some leaks here and there before we ever tried wool (I just never believed wool would actually work. LOL! Boy was I wrong!) but the first time I used the first soaker (I bought used) I was hooked! Now, I'm all about grabbing up every soaker I can. The best part is, you really only need a couple of good soakers because they can be re-used over and over. But see if you can resist all of those adorable shorties and longies. :rolleyes: LOL! Oh yeah - no rashes either because it's so breathable.
  13. Megmama

Megmama Happy Happy Joy Joy

Have to agree with Jo here..I love wool! Wool and fitteds is all I use with Sophie now..at night she has a lukes drawers OIW with a wool stacinator cover and nary a leak in sight!! 'course she has the largest butt known to man :)

I had to start knitting again to have soakers, cuz I'm too much of a tightwad to spend money on them when I can knit myself..I Love knitting them..(see sig pic for my first longies!). Wool is great :)
  14. Barb

Barb Moderator Staff Member

personally we tried it all. fitteds with wool, fitteds with pul, prefolds with both, fuzzibunz, happy heineys, aios with fleece liners, silk liners. every diaper cream we could find.
    We stripped with synthropol, with dawn by hand... you name it we tried it.

nothing worked so we went sposie.
  15. Amethyst

Amethyst New Member

:joker: Josie's butt is enormous, too!!! LOL!
  16. BlsdMama

BlsdMama New Member

Have clothed four so far - dd #1 was a 'sposie baby. I would second the fact that diapering a newborn is just too hard. They leak around the legs. Try again. We use disposables for the first few weeks. Plus, I wouldn't dare stain my diapers with meconium.
  17. Caden's_mama

Caden's_mama Just another momma

Hmmmmm
    how often are you changing the newborn diapers?
    Caden was always attached to me and nursed it seemed like 24/7.

Yeah I know he IS my first so I only had him to deal with.

My son was pretty tiny at a month premature and 5lbs 3.6 oz he HAD the skinniest little legs.

I used 3 to 4 dozen infant prefolds, 6 cover either prorap covers or bumpy covers

Ive heard fancy fitted's and aio's dont always work well for newborns.

I was super umm anal (lol) about changing his diaper asahp
    (as soon as he pee'd or pooped) EVEN at night!
    By the time he was 4 months old he was dry at night and still is.

Im still pretty anal about changing him and change him very often.

newborns pee ALL the time and poop a lot in the beginning.

I was lucky my mom did wash our diapers for the first couple of weeks. Now I wont let her touch them unless Im really really sick.

Washing newborn bf'ed diapers are super easy tell Cam to wear a clothes pin on his nose (its not even that bad) and get over it!

If not you do what you gotta do!
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2005
  18. lildevil77

lildevil77 New Member

How about using cd diring the day when you will be quicker to change her. At night and while out use sposies. You can use a prefold as a doubler in aio. Aios are hard to fit tiny newbrons becasue they scrunch up all the time and it is harder to get a snug fit. Pee just rolls right out. Prefolds imho absorb much quicker. If you really want to stick with cd you can run to target and get some gerber pull up rubber pants to use until she grows some. We had to resort to using those at over her prefold and cover at night for a few weeks, she would just hold it and then let loose and soak through everything lol
  19. JenTwo

JenTwo Not really here...

DS peed through everything the first few months. Including sposies.

I now know he can't use PUL- he pees through it, around it, etc. Hemp is his best friend. So our stash is hemp and wool, with very few exceptions.

It gets easier, really.
  20. beanandpumpkin

beanandpumpkin Homeschooling WAHM

We cloth diapered Rebecca from 4 months to about 16 months every day, then only did part time cloth diapering utnil she was about 20 months. Now we use sposies. Every once in a while I'll cd her for a day, but then I end up going back to disposables. Her poops are just too vile now, she wants me to change them ALL THE TIME (like every 15 minutes!), and she is too bulky for her carseat with them on.

You have a lot on your plate already, caring for a newborn. If disposable diapering means you get through the day with more sanity, and you can concentrate on enjoying and nursing your baby, then by all means, use sposies! Once you get past the newborn stage, you might want to try it again, or you might not. You know from experience that it all gets so much easier to care for hte baby in general once they are two or three months old...don't worry about anything until then, at least!