cloth and UTIs?

Discussion in 'Cloth Diapering' started by FindingCalm, Jun 16, 2010.

1. FindingCalm

FindingCalm New Member

I admit, I put my first two children in disposable diapers. I'm sorry Mother Earth! In my defense I lived in an apartment and did not own a washing machine. I looked into diaper services only to find that there weren't any that served my area and my son's childcare wouldn't allow cloth diapers. Anyway, we are considering cloth for future children now that we have a washing machine.

My question is, do cloth diapers make children more susceptible to UTIs? My daughter has vesiocoureteral reflux; basically urine from her bladder can flow backwards into her kidneys. If she gets a UTI she very rapidly develops kidney damage. Fortunately she has only had one UTI in her life and only has damage on one kidney, but the problem is genetic and I can't take any risks for increasing infection risk for future babies. UTI's in the first year are especially damaging. Anyone know if cloth diapers affect risk at all? I hate the waste created by disposable diapers but I have to admit to loving the hydrogels that absorb urine so well. I know wool is great, but if I do go cloth it is going to have to be easy care cotton. Please don't be mean to me. I am considering switching to cloth after all.
  2. irinam

irinam Amity's Focus Member

Not an expert on the subject, but would suspect that the opposite is more likely -IMO, the disposables would create the "better environment" for the UTI.
  3. quidnunc

quidnunc Member

I agree with Irina. I've had kids in cloth and sposies and never had a UTI with any of them. I'm guessing if your little one is going to get them, she's just going to get them no matter what her buns are covered with.
  4. golden

golden Active Member

My son also had kidney reflux for the first three years. We used cloth diapers. And no UTIs. My experience with cloth is that you change them more often than disposables, which I would think if best for avoiding an environment that would encourage UTIs.