Cleaning out ear wax?

Discussion in 'Super Crunch' started by Linda, Mar 30, 2008.

1. Linda

Linda Amity's Focus Member

Does anyone have experience with this?
    I don't want to take Leah into the Doctor's office if I can avoid it.

I read about ear candling..I am not really sure I buy it.

How can I clean out ear wax from dd's ear? Any suggestions? Experience?
  2. sveasmommy

sveasmommy Rory and Tait too!

I don't buy all the "it will solve all your problems" think with ear candling but it works very well on my husband's excessive ear wax.
  3. Linda

Really?! That is good to know. I am just concerend about the ear wax, not solving her life's issues~lol!. *smooch*
  4. TeriMomOf4

TeriMomOf4 Active Member

When you google the ear wax candles, it sounds like the results achieved are the same whether you burn them in an ear or out of an ear.
    In other words, it doesn't sound like they work very well.

When my grandfather had ear wax impaction issues, we used olive oil to soften it and then flushed it with a bulb syringe and warm water.
  5. Linda

I found this article...
    How to clear persistent earwax - Everybody - Health Information for New Zealanders
    Summary

Fifteen minutes of water in the ear is a quicker and more convenient way to break down persistent earwax than using a home treatment with a wax-softening medication for three days. Syringing is used by most GPs for removing earwax, and in most cases it is successful. But in a few patients earwax is impacted and it resists syringing. Given that water has been found to break down earwax effectively, a study was undertaken to compare the use of water in the ears for 15 minutes before going to bed with the use of oil in the ears over three nights for breaking up persistent earwax. Similar numbers of syringing attempts were subsequently required in the two groups for removing the persistent earwax. The water method was much more convenient for the patient. Syringing is relatively safe and gives good results. In most, fewer than five attempts are needed to remove earwax.

Study Details

'Using water as a quick dispersant for persistent earwax is a more convenient treatment for the patient' than three days of instilling a ceruminolytic agent - an agent that breaks down earwax - such as olive oil. In general practice, about 4 in 100 patients present with earwax problems. Syringing is used by about 95% of GPs for removing earwax, and in most cases it is successful. However, for some patients earwax is impacted and it resists syringing. Most such patients are told to use a ceruminolytic agent like olive oil and to return for further syringing in a few days. However, studies have shown olive oil is ineffective at breaking down earwax. Water has been shown to break down earwax quickly and effectively, so a group from Leiden University in Belgium compared the use of water and oil for dispersing persistent earwax. Patients (n = 42; 59 ears) were randomised to use water in both ears (the auditory meatus was blocked by wet cotton wool for 15 minutes) and repeat syringing, or oil in both ears before retiring to bed over three consecutive nights. There was no significant difference between the two approaches; three syringing attempts were required in the water-treatment group versus 2.4 on average for the oil-treated group. Clinically, water in the ear for 15 minutes is more convenient for the patient. While syringing is not the optimum method for removing earwax, it is relatively safe and gives good results. In most, fewer than five attempts are needed to remove earwax.
    Source: Eekhof JAH, et al. Br J Gen Prac 2001;51:635-7

Originally posted week beginning 29 October 2001
    Disclaimer

This is a summary article from MedALERT, a clinical journal review service written by Dr Peter Louisson (MB ChB). Originally selected to inform General Practitioners, knowledgeable New Zealand health consumers may also find this article useful. This information is intended solely for New Zealand residents and is of a general nature only and no person should act in reliance on any statement contained in the information provided and at all times should obtain specific advice from a health professional. All rights reserved. © CMPMedica (NZ) Ltd. This publication is copyright.
  6. sveasmommy

I'm interested to read that article. My only antedote is that when we've cut the candle open after burning it, the amount of ear wax inside that had been drawn out was quite disturbing!
  7. PinkLotusMama

PinkLotusMama New Member

I'm a HUGE fan of ear candling. Absolutely love it! It feels great when I am done.

I have flushed out my ears and was in some major pain after doing it. I wont ever do it again. But thats just my experience.
  8. TeriMomOf4

TeriMomOf4 Active Member

The things I was reading online stated that if you burned the candle and then cut it open WITHOUT placing it in the ear, you get the same residue. It is actually the candle wax and soot....not earwax.
  9. mamadoula

mamadoula Active Member

We take CLO orally to reduce ear wax but if it builds up I use a few drops of peroxide.
  10. 3boysnagrl

3boysnagrl Amity's Focus Member

That is what I did with Adam. I put oil in his ear a couple of times a day for a few days, then used the syringe. What came out was - um - interesting... and smelled pretty gross. Of course, he loved that! :lol:

It was easy, and it wasn't painful. Use warm water in the syringe and laugh as you do it. ;)
  11. TulaneMama

TulaneMama countdown mode

how did you flush it with the water and suck it out?
  12. LatteLover

LatteLover Amity's Focus Member

Yes, what exactly are you supposed to do?

DS has very waxy ears and I really feel they need to be cleaned a bit.
  13. PinkLotusMama

PinkLotusMama New Member

I did mine while in the shower. We have an ear wax remover bulb sucker thing. It came in some ear wax removal kit DH had.
  14. sveasmommy

Well, I certainly could have been taken for a ride but it was a HUGE amount and very clearly the color of ear wax. Who knows...
  15. Redterra

Redterra Just me, doing my best

Another huge fan of ear candles here - again just for removing earwax, not solving other troubles. I've burned one myself w/o inserting it in an ear, and only got a little powdery stuff and a little white/clearish paraffin wax beads - really, tiny amounts of both.

And yet when I use them on DH, whose ear wax does not drain out, he goes from being in very much pain from the pressure to feeling completely better, with LOTS of very-obviously ear wax in left in the candle.

And when I use it on DS, the difference is I see excessive wax in his ear before I candle them, and after I don't see any wax in the ear and yet there is wax in the candle. And after candling his ears, he sleeps much better at night.

After using it in ears, the residue in the candle looks like ear wax, smells like ear wax, and feels like earwax (I know... ewww).

I don't think they should be used randomly on anybody - when I've had my ears candled, they've itched SEVERELY for WEEKS after - so I'll never do my own again! But for DH and DS who have consistent ear wax build-up, it works wonderfully, especially since both would much rather relax with their head in my lap while I candle their ears than to have me put any kind of drops, peroxide, or warm water in there.
  16. 3Gs4Me

3Gs4Me Blessed Beyond Belief!

Wrapped in the Loving Embrace of My Family
    We adore ear candles

I am totally convinced that they work especially since we had our chiro check Gwenny's ears just before and right after a candling treatment and he saw a remarkable difference in the amount of wax in her ears.
  17. 3boysnagrl

3boysnagrl Amity's Focus Member

You just fill the syringe with warm water, then squeeze it firmly into the ear, it pushed the wax out, no sucking it out needed. :)
  18. lala

lala I make stuff

as someone who gets swimmer's ears very easily, I would not recommend putting any fluids other than a few drops of peroxide or oil in her ears.

My ears get very painful when there is water in there! Even just a little bit.

I love ear candles. I always cut them open and examine the amount of obvious ear wax. It is an "ewwwwww, look, that's cooool" kind of thing.

And the powdery stuff? I was told and read that it is pollen and yeast build up.

There are a lot of skeptics on the net who like to trash talk anything that is not mainstream medicine or MD approved.... :vent:
  19. hadalamb

hadalamb Amity's Focus Member

I was told the powdery stuff is the candle wax residue, and the dark orange stuff is the ear wax. I absolutely believe it works b/c there is a different amount of the darker stuff every time we do it. If it was only from the candle itself, it would be the same amount.

We do irrigation as well when needed. Just a cheapie bulb syringe from the pharmacy, though I prefer a larger style if I can get one. Warm water mixed w/peroxide. Pour some into the ear, let it set for a minute or two. You can hear the peroxide fizzing and working on the wax. Then irrigate while the ear side is down so it can immediately drain out.

All that said... ds once had it impacted so badly that nothing helped. I took him to the doc and they used the same process, but w/a water pik! So cool. It got all KINDS of gunk out. He immediately said "I can hear!" :) So sometimes home remedies don't cut it.
  20. mamajandtheboys

mamajandtheboys Amity's Focus Member

I'm an ear wax removal freak. My boys and my dh have gobs of crap in their ears. I irrigate them w/ a bulb syringe. DH's sometimes is impacted, so it takes a few "sessions" but then an enormous chunk of wax will come tumbling out and it's all good. It's a really grotesque job, but I'm into that. :lol: