Canning....anyone else doing it?

Discussion in 'Food and Cooking' started by wheelerclan, Aug 21, 2013.

1. wheelerclan

wheelerclan Well-Known Member

If so, why do you do it? What do you can? How big is your stash? Your best tried and true recipes?

I can, did it years ago but only now got back into it.

I can because I"m beyond paranoid that something will happen and we won't have money to buy food. If I have canned fresh food, I know I can feed my family and do so healthily.

I have 1/4 of my pantry stocked with canned goods. Bread & Butter and Dill Pickles, pickled okra and asparagus, dilly green beans and dilly carrots, herbed green beans, veggie stew, pasta sauce, salsa; carrots, green beans and potatoes (canned with only water). TONS of it. 28 pints of pasta sauce, 14 pints of salsa, 5 pints of dilly green beans, 5 pints of dilly carrots, 9 pints of herbed green beans, 3 pints of pickled asparagus, 10 quarts and 2 pints of bread and butter pickles, 7 quarts of End of the Garden pickles, 2 quarts green beans, 4 quarts of carrots, 5 quarts of potatoes, 5 quarts of dill pickles, 5 quarts and 7 pints of veggie soup, 2 pints and 5 quarter pints of peach syrup (peach butter that didn't thicken), 4 pints and 9 half pints of very cherry jam, 4 pints and 1 quarter pint of raspberry jam, 3 pints pickled okra, 1 pint and 11 half pints of peach butter, and 1 pint, 11 half pints and 4 quarter pints of fieldberry jam. (all made from ingredients from my garden, from a local farmers market or organic produce from the grocery store). THat doesn't include what we've already eaten, either. I hope to do more fresh veggies in water.

Will provide recipes for anything I already canned (above) upon request. I like to keep it simple: fresh veggies canned in plain water. That way you can season them, cook them how you like!
    1 person likes this.
  2. wheelerclan

3. lovencloth

lovencloth Amity's Focus Member

I do, just not this year. Our garden was horrible this year. I also blanch and freeze quite a bit. I, like you, worry that something will happen and I won't be able to provide, so this is something that I can do that would help. Plus it tastes good. :D

I freeze corn, beets, zucchini, squash (puree) and pumpkin (puree), I also make an assortment of freezer jellies. I used to freeze beans but I did not like the resulting flavor, so I will probably can them from now on.

I can pickles, tomatoes (minced and sauce), salsa, jalapenos, carrots, and beets (pickled). I am sure there is more, or at least it feels like more. 2 years ago we canned/froze enough that we could have one side dish for every dinner for one year.
    1 person likes this.
  4. Storm

Storm Amity Teen

We can because Dh loves to garden as a hobby and we end up with too much to eat fresh. I also like cooking and playing with recipes and canning is just another fun thing to do in the kitchen.

This year I haven't done much because we skipped the garden in lieu of sawyer working on the house remodel. I did get a lot of strawberries from FIL though and made strawberry jam and strawberry rhubarb sauce. I'm collecting veggies for a batch of veggie broth (I end up making several batches during normal garden years, I haven't even made my first batch yet this summer) and I'm getting blueberries tomorrow to make jam. I'll make apple and pumpkin butter later, I make those every year and really look forward to it, it's part of my autumn routine. :)
    2 people like this.
  5. maxnmaizy

maxnmaizy Seeking Light

I became a Master Food Preserver this year through the extension service. I have been volunteering for preserving classes all season, but haven't canned anything for home yet (not so easy with a baby under tow). I am planning on doing our first batch of our garden tomatoes this weekend. For the past two years I have grown and put-up enough tomatoes to not have to buy any all year. Valerie has an excellent roasted tomato sauce recipe that I made last year. We also dry sungolds in the dehydrator or oven and do a lot of fermenting (kraut, kim chi, and pickles).
    1 person likes this.
  6. wheelerclan

This would be intensely awesome. Did you contact your extension service and ask about classes/certification or something? Wondering if this isn't something I'd want to do. :)
  7. Rident_Mama

Rident_Mama New Member

Can & freeze here. DH and I talked about food safety after (of all things) I started reading "Under the Dome". A couple weeks later, he plowed up 1/2 acre and we planted a massive garden. The freezer is almost full, and I really need to hurry up and can something other than pickles (we eat a LOT of pickles).
    1 person likes this.