Can you share your favorite Homeschool links?

Discussion in 'Alternative Learning' started by Rainedazze, Oct 27, 2005.

1. Rainedazze

Rainedazze Tar Heels Lovin Mama!!

My son is in public K now, but we got a letter on Tuesday telling us we have until Mon. the 31st to withdraw him from school and enroll him in another that is over 20 miles away. His current school is 4. We would have to drive right by it to get to the other. If he were to ride the bus he would be first on and last off and spend at least 1.5 hours each way.. which just is NOT an option, not to mention we are not very thrilled with the school.

The reason for this is that we are about 25 yards on the other side of the county line. :rolleyes: Half of our property is on one side of the line and the other in the adjoining county. When I enrolled my son I told them that we were in another county but that county had no bus service for our area. Historically all other children on this road have also attended their school district. I asked would there be a problem, they looked us up and I was told NO. Had I known they would boot him.. I would have never enrolled him. :eyes: He LOVES his teacher, his classroom, his school.. and has made many new friends. :wah:

We have filled out a transfer request but know it will be denied as the county is not accepting any transfers. For the time we plan to appeal until we no longer have the option. I am going to use this time to go ahead and get things in order for our homeschool.

We are looking at this as the sign that we need to proceed with our homeschooling dreams. I am more confident that I can do this now. I spend about an hour an afternoon with my son doing his homework, sight words, etc and he is VERY eager to learn. My almost 4 year old is as well. I am sure adding more time to that won't be a problem if we switch things around a bit.

We have plans of turning our living room in to a learning room for them since we use it as a play room now. There is room to fit a couple desks in there as well as a chalkboard and other things that we may need. There is lots of room to hang things as well. We already have two extra computers that they can use as well and do so now.

I do not have to start reporting until Bailey is 7 but I figured I may go ahead and start keeping records now so I can get into the habit of doing so. We plan to check out our local co-op as well. We will be using the money we are spending on gas to take them back and forth to school now on a weekly field trip too.

I am very excited, yet still a little apprehensive. My mom thinks it is a great idea, but says I must get control of my discipline issues first. My husbands parents are not at all open to the thought, but we are prepared to accept whatever comes with that. It is our choice, our kids, and thats pretty much the end of that.

So, I would love any links, books, favorite parts of curriculums, advice, materials that are a must.. that you can offer. I would be so appreciative. I may need a little hand holding at first, but I really feel this is going to be the best thing for our kids.

Thanks for reading mamas.
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2005
  2. branwyn

branwyn fasting and cleansing

email me if you want to stay in touch - madhousema
  3. lassie

lassie Happy Potty

Aww, good luck Toni! I am sorry this happened to you, but hopefully it will be a good change in the long run.

This is a fun site for kids learning to read...

www.starfall.com

We love it!
  4. Chels~

Chels~ Moment by Moment

5. cdmamatutu

cdmamatutu New Member

oooh, good thread...bookmarking like mad here... :)
  6. Rainedazze

Just wanted to update this and say that we will be starting our homeschooling journey on Monday! :happy: Bailey's last day of public school is Friday.

The school denied our transfer request. We have decided not to appeal the decision and just start with homeschooling. We have also pulled Caleb out of his 2 day a week preschool and I will be working with him as well.

I already have a good idea of what we need to be doing, so we will continue on the path they are already on. I still have a lot of research to do, but I am pretty secure that we will make it through the remainder of this year with out a hitch. (famous last words!! LOL)

To those that replied with links.. thanks so much!! :heart: Lassie.. the starfall site is now a regular daily activity for the boys. It is such a wonderful site!! They are NUTS over it.

Thankfully my mom is supportive. DH's parents are not too pleased right now, but hopefully they will come around. DH refused to ask them if they wanted some "bean dip" :hahaha:
  7. volvomom

volvomom New Member

On keeping records

in FL all I have to do is keep the materials I used for 2 years afterwards and a log of materials used. My log is just the calender on the wall where I write down special stuff we might do like see "Harry Potter and The Goblet of Fire" on Nov 18!!! (We're doing a self-directed unit study on Harry Potter).

Most states do not require you to keep records like public school teachers!!! I wouldn't make it any harder for myself than I had to but I am lazy in that respect.

Best wishes on your homeschooling journey. My children were enrolled in the elementary school behind my house for 11 days; I don't feel public school is any place for children.
  8. jma924

jma924 New Member

9. Rainedazze

Thanks for those Jenn.. I have looked a few of them. I will also reply to the PM later when I get a little more time. :)
  10. MamaNurse

MamaNurse Chocolate Snob

Driving an SUV powered by Biodiesel made from wast
    I scanned the replies and didn't see this link:
    http://homeschoolreviews.com/ Click on the Reviews tab up top.

I LOVE this site b/c I get overwhelmed by all of our options. I really value what other parents using curriculums have to say after using them. This has helped me to make decisions about what to buy/use.

I also read the reviews at Amazon.com if it's a book availble there (for example Story of the World series).

:)
  11. sagira

sagira New Member

www.amblesideonline.org
    http://sites.silaspartners.com/CC_Content_Page/0,,PTID61309|CHID452228|CIID,00.html

Charlotte Mason resources and information

http://www.homeschoolnewslink.com
    Free homeschool newspaper (also deliver to your home)

http://eho.org/
    Eclectic homeschooling and information for beginners starting to homeschool

http://homeschooling.gomilpitas.com/index.htm
    A-Z Home's Cool -- a great homeschooling website chock-full of information for new homeschoolers, including the different methods and resources for each. Worth checking out!

I second Tanglewood and the Well-Trained Mind as well as Homeschool Reviews. Gotta go and check out Starfall!

Cheers,

Sagira
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2005
  12. brooken

brooken New Member

We're just beginning hsing, and I love this site! What a find... thanks!

Can't wait to check out some others when I have time.
  13. Robin

Robin Jesus Follower

We love the letter of the week site but I am not sure of the web addy. I use it with my 4 yo and he really likes it.
  14. lassie

lassie Happy Potty

This one is very fun if you like Jan Brett books.

Today we read The Gingerbread Baby and then colored a picture of him, made a cardboard gingerbread box, and then a card for her grandparents. It's all on the site to print out free! :happy:

http://www.janbrett.com
  15. lassie

lassie Happy Potty

:happy: Great!! We love it too!