can I see your compost operations?

Discussion in 'Homesteading' started by tara, May 11, 2010.

1. tara

tara Amity's Focus Member

2. tara

tara Amity's Focus Member

Made it! Easy peasy. I cleaned out the fridge this morning, too, so had a nice (blurgh!) bunch of stuff to add to it. I started the bottom with shredded dry leaves mixed with coffee grounds from the local cafe, and a little dirt.

Now...what is your small kitchen compost container like? Like, if you have a cup of tea or peel a banana, and you don't want to go all the way out to the compost bin. I've used a tupperware container in the past, on the counter, and don't want to do that anymore. A friend of mine has something like this:
    Amazon.com: Gaiam Kitchen Compost Bucket (Large) Green (9.6 Quart) Includes Filter: Home & Garden
    I like that it doesn't stink, looks nice, and is handy. But it's $20! I spent less than that on the materials to build the outdoor composter!

Tara
  3. harvestgirl

harvestgirl escape to chimp eden!

The least I can do is speak out for those who cann
    wow! productive you are :)

$20 isn't bad imo. i like that. or how about a metal bucket to keep under the sink?
  4. OnTheBrink

OnTheBrink Amity's Focus Member

We just keep a stainless bowl under the sink (or on the counter, if we are doing food prep). We go out to the composter at least once a day - usually a few times. Nothing has time to get stinky.
  5. cathleenc

cathleenc dirty. good dirt.

we bought an oblong hard plastic lidless box from Target - in their storage and organization section. Low profile, sits right next to the garbacge can under the sink - we, too, empty it at least once a day. Absolutely amazing how much stuff you can compost and not throw out!
  6. Deanna

Deanna With arms wide open...

let's see if i can get all the links in right, lol...
    this is my composter, i love it-
    [​IMG]
    Digitalseed

i have this for the kitchen--
    Kitchen Compost Crocks | Buy from Gardener's Supply
    but i'm too cheap to buy more filters for the top, plus with the lid on, i get gnats. i have a plastic bucket that's about the same size that i use more often. but the bottom is cracked, so it lives just outside the back door.
  7. MissNairne

MissNairne All new, with added NAK!

We have a wire-mesh do-hobber. It's larger than most of the "how-tos', but it contains a lot of our yard waste as well as kitchen scraps (the chickens get the choice veg) and has worked pretty well for us over the past 5 years. :)
  8. Katie

Katie Amity's Focus Member

I'm not very good at compost. I'm trying to be better at turning it over and watering it this year. So I set up a wire hoop like you made. It's easy to lift it off, turn everything, pile it back up and put the ring around it again. It's a little flimsy (because I used stray chicken wire) but it's working.

I keep an ice cream bucket next to the sink for the day's waste and take it outside as part of my chicken lock-down ritual. Then it goes in the dishwasher for the night.
  9. lakshmi_mama

lakshmi_mama cleaning house

Compost is one of the things that the biodynamic school of thought has down to an art. We don't use a container, but if in a backyard situation I would think that the wire mesh ones would be great. You will get good air and increased rate of activity with it, as long as you keep it damp enough. Be sure to add your brown stuff after it has been wet with something. If you want to go for the gusto - dampen your brown (carbon) layers with manure tea. (basic water and manure spritz or dip.)
  10. Storm

Storm Amity Teen

we have a square wire mesh area and one with wooden pallets. In the past we've just had an open pile but sawyer wanted to enclose it so we do now. I think it looked better just open but my opinion doesn't seem to matter, lol.
    in the kitchen I just keep a medium sized mixing bowl by the sink and we empty it outside a couple of times a day. It's not a big deal if you just take it when you need to go outside anyway. Check the mail and dump the compost bowl, get the eggs and dump the compost bowl. :)
  11. bubbles

bubbles New Member

Mine is almost a disaster, lol. I am not good at composting but do it anyway. I have two large plastic composters. Both are completely full of uncomposted matter. I don't water them enough. I don't pay attention to balancing what is in them and I don't turn them enough. So, I have two large bins of stuff that really should be compost because I am running out of space to put my kitchen scraps. I need a compost manager. :)
  12. mamabear

mamabear ~*~smile~*~

Mine is very farmy - a huge pile. Not much to look at, LOL. We use 2 stainless bowls for compost collection inside. One for chickens and one for not-chickens (onions, beans, meat bits).
  13. elsie

elsie New Member

We have a wire bin, except it's a rectangle, not rounded.

We have a plastic, shoebox size bin for the kitchen scraps We keep it in the freezer, so no smell and no fruit flies!