Calling all those with great minds and creativity(SARAH!)

Discussion in 'Alternative Learning' started by TulaneMama, Jan 9, 2010.

1. TulaneMama

TulaneMama countdown mode

okay - so next year Olivia will be 5. SHe is already interested in doing school. We have some workbooks like ETC, MUS Primer and HWOT. I also have Teach your child to read in 100 easy lessons.

I want the next year to be FUN!!! It will be just the girls and I (3 and 5) at home. I want to explore, create, make, imagine and have FUN!!!

So what would you do with 2 little girlies who love to be active and interact The only requirement is that we do 180 days (EASY) and that the advisor sees improvement in her work over the year.
  2. TeriMomOf4

TeriMomOf4 Active Member

My girls loved, loved, loved the 5-7 for Moving Beyond the Page.
  3. Robin

Robin Jesus Follower

If I was in that situation with a 5 and 3 yo I would seriously consider doing MFW K. I think it would be fun on lots of levels. There are some other fun Kindy programs (that I can't think of off the top of my head) that I would consider doing if I wasn't doing older cores also.
  4. 3Gs4Me

3Gs4Me Blessed Beyond Belief!

Wrapped in the Loving Embrace of My Family
    subbing as I will have a 5 year old home with me next year as well.
  5. 3boysnagrl

3boysnagrl Amity's Focus Member

Oh my... that sounds like FUN!

I would have a library day and pick out lots of great books each week (maybe make a list of excellent children's literature and cross things off as you go throughout the year). I would have a crafting time every day, and play lots of games with them. I'd take walks in our neighborhood often, we'd go to the park, we'd find some streams to explore.

Would Olivia enjoys scrapbooking? Taking pictures (or pictures that you have taken and printed for her) and making her own captions and stories about the pictures. This is a fun great way to do writing, without it being so structured. It's more of another craft, fun time. And it's neat to read their take on the pictures.
  6. TulaneMama

will be going to their head office soon and am anxious to check it all out!
  7. TulaneMama

We already go to the library every Tuesday for storytime and come home with an ENORMOUS milk crate (the one on wheels w/ a handle from rubbermaid) full of books. we all enjoy that. then we spend most of that day reading books and every day before nap time we also read another book.

good idea on the pictures...i actually clipped an idea from a magazine where you go out and look for the letters of the alphabet in nature and take pictures of them...I thought that this would be fun. Yes, lots of walks and trips to the beach as we will be in MD and TONS of trips to the museums too!
  8. amyincali

amyincali New Member

Winterpromise's younger kids programs have some fun books with them. I wouldn't buy the program but a lot of the books are fun. Science Play, Math Play, Art Starts for Little Hands, and Sing, Play, Create are a few.

I might be in a similar situation next year. I may have my oldest 2 in school which would leave me with two 6 year olds, a 3.5 yo, and a 2.5 yo.
  9. Robin

Robin Jesus Follower

I didn't think about winterpromise but we used their animal worlds when the boys were older and loved it. We actually left alot of the craft ideas out because the boys weren't that into crafts but there were some fun books in there.
  10. Robin

Robin Jesus Follower

And I meant when my boys were older than your girls will be like 1st/2nd grade-ish. Anyway WP does have a lot of neat crafty books.
  11. TulaneMama

okay so MBTP, WP and MFW!!! (to name a few :) )
  12. TulaneMama

I am really liking MBTP - always have. My question is could I start the Pre-K stuff now and then move onto the K when finished? Does it move faster sometimes then they lay it all out? How much time daily do the lessons take? Is there are cheaper place to purchase everything? I know that I could get the books from the library, but I think that I would just rather have them on hand at home to read over and over again since they all look so good.
  13. TeriMomOf4

TeriMomOf4 Active Member

You can only buy it new on the website, but if you join the yahoo group (there should be a link on the website), people sell it used there all the time.
    The 5-7 is for those who are not reading/reading short little words, so she may be ready for it now.
    What I would do, if that interests you, is go slower than it shows. My concern is not so much that it would get to be over their heads, but that you would finish and the levels above it start moving faster.
    My girls LOVED planning the 5 senses party. They had so much fun with that and have asked repeatedly if they could do it again.

Also, if you really want to do the preschool, she didn't write that one. She adapted an existing program to match what MBTP does. It is called Peak with Books and I have seen it on Amazon. You wouldn't get her rearrangement though. (She has it laid out to do in concepts like the other levels).

One of the things I really like about MBTP is that even though the daily lessons are laid out for you, it doesn't tell you what day to do it on. So if you want to do it twice a week, you don't feel like you are 'behind'.

5-7 took less than an hour per lesson for us.