Breastfeeding problems... revisited. I quit?

Discussion in 'Breastfeeding FAQ' started by BlsdMama, Feb 28, 2004.

1. birthdance

birthdance New Member

Re: please see an IBCLC

I was going to say try these things as well. Many mamas have had good luck w/ gripe water, especially for the gassiness.

One of my LLL mamas had a baby who was severely allergic to peanuts. He exhibited the same symptoms you describe with your baby...the gassiness, the diahrrea, the fussiness. She saw everyone, us at LLL, an LC, her ped...she finally went to an allergist and they discovered it was a peanut allergy. Once she eliminated peanuts (and all tree nuts as well) and soy from her diet the problem got resolved. He happily weaned himself at 4 yrs!

Don't give up, mama. Try the elimination diet and do see an IBCLC.

Oh, and lots of (((hugs)))!!

Blessings,
  2. LoriG

LoriG Master Dojo

I was just reading this post and I thought of my friend that was having the same problems with her baby. The doctor did testing and said that the baby was allergic to the mother's milk (???). She's preg with #4 now and all her babies have had to have formula because of that.
  3. TinyBabyBean

TinyBabyBean New Member

From what I have read the milk in formula is way different from the milk products for adults. The lactose is broken down.
    A baby could have no reaction to a formula and could have a reaction to dairy products in your milk.
    Someone correct me if I am wrong here.

4. snowymtnmama

snowymtnmama New Member

YES. Breakdown of the formula is going to be different in her digestion than that of breastmilk. Not to mention, it may not necessarily be "dairy" like someone was saying. It may be certain things IN certain dairy products, like casin, etc....I know Trace did fine while nursing, and when i got pg and couldn't keep up with him we went to a cup of whole milk. It made him ABSOLUTELY miserable. Changed to soy milk, and rice milk and he does great. He's able to eat whole milk yogurt tho, how much sense does that make? lol

CONTINUE to breastfeed if you really want to make it work. (not trying to sway you one way or the other) but giving her formula will probably just impede her in a couple of ways. She'll get used to the nipple and want to nurse less, she's used to the easy letdown of the nipple and isn't managing your forceful letdown as much so she'll probably forget or battle with it, AND the going back and forth with formula/breast milk while she's having trouble is probably REALLY messing up her belly.

Try Hylands tables, Gripe water (WONDERFUL stuff), mylicon if necessary, warm compresses to her belly, frequent burping, massages for comfort, etc...til you get her back on trace. That and a bland elimination diet for a week or two til you kinda figure out what's going on. NO PEANUTS, that's a big allergen factor there. Nurse ON demand, hourly if necessary, one breast at a time as long as she wants. Have a nursing marathon for a day or two, cosleep if necessary to get her back on track nursing wise.

((((((hang in there))))))) i know its SO hard trying to figure out these precious angel babies! Hopefully something will help and you can figure out what's going on!!!
  5. herc

herc Amity's Focus Member

hey :)
    first, the 3 MAJOR culprits are egg, dairy and peanut-- these protiens pass into breastmilk whole, and are more difficult to digest. There are a lot of other things that =the baby could possibly be allergic to , but these are what I would cut out first. It very definaetly sound slike a food allergy to me-- if you can nursse on one side for several days i just dont think foremilk/hindmilk is your problem. Poor baby and mama--- getting a good start with breastfeeding can be hard sometimes-- ask me how I know that, lol. 2 years later we are going strong though-- the persistence paid off for, us.

i would love to try and help, or just be your cheerleader :) I know things can be hard, and terribly frustrating, but it really will get better.

heather