better baby diaper pattern - ? about length of elastic

Discussion in 'Cloth Diapering' started by drmom2five, Sep 22, 2005.

1. drmom2five

drmom2five New Member

Do any of you have the better baby diaper pattern? I am in the middle of sewing up some & realized that I misplaced the paper that tells you how long to cut each individual peices of elastic for the legs. I can remember how to make them by heart sence I have used this pattern MANY times, but I dont remember the length of elastic by heart. If anyone has this pattern, can you help me and let me know this? I will write it down on my pattern so I dont forget and bug you again. ;-)

Thanks in advance,
    Randee
  2. tamccrackine

tamccrackine New Member

I just got this pattern and soooo look forward to making some. Especially since I'm waiting on pins and needles to find out if my friend is pregnant with twins! She CD's and I'll make her a bunch!

Anyway... the 1/4" Elastic is for 1Doz- 5yds, 2 Doz- 10 yds, 3 Doz- 15 yds and in the pattern, it just states "leave in one piece" and then looking at the instructions, it just states to start sewing it on one spot, then stretching it as tight as you can, you sew it to the other end.

the 3/4" Velcro is 1 Doz- 3 3/4 yds, 2 Doz- 7 1/2 yd, 3 Doz- 11 1/4 yd.

I know you just asked about the Elastic, but figured the Velcro won't hurt either. If you want me to measure it, let me know!

Enjoy!!
    Theresa
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2005
  3. drmom2five

drmom2five New Member

Hey Theresa,

First off thanks for repling to the thread - I ended up just guessing and they turned out fine. You will enjoy the pattern - its great, my only suggestion is to not make it of only flannel, put some terry in the middle or you may not like the amount of absorbancy. Also, snaps rule, velcro looses its stickiness so quickly and wears out before the rest of the diaper does.

Second off - I dont know if you noticed in my sig-line, but I have twins! They are 18 months old as of Saturday and they are so much fun! Sending your friend good twin vibes - they are the coolest things ever!!! LOL!

Thanks again and have a great day,
    Randee
  4. tamccrackine

tamccrackine New Member

Hi Randee,
    Thanks so much for the advice... yep, this is my first forey into making diapers. I've made liners and wipes, so I'm excited about the dipes. I don't have a snap press so I'll have to stick to velcro until Christmas when I hope to get a little one then. I'll have to get some terry and follow your advice about the absorbancy. My baby is a heavy wetter. Thanks!!!
    Theresa
  5. drmom2five

drmom2five New Member

Your Welcome :)

You are very welcome Theresa! Have fun sewing - its addicting! LOL!

-Randee