Best/Cheapest place to buy wool felt

Discussion in 'Sewing & Crafty Stuff!' started by Melaniee, Jun 4, 2003.

1. Melaniee

Melaniee New Member

2. MGray

MGray Active Member

If you want to make your own felt - I've got wool for sale $5/pound. It's raw, but well skirted with very little vegatable matter in it.

Melinda
  3. Melaniee

Melaniee New Member

Thank you, but I'm going to start with pre-made...baby steps you know?

=)

Anyone else?
  4. Dannielle

Dannielle Princess Nimble-Thimble

If you're looking for 100% wool felt you're not going to find it for a reasonable price. You can get 100% wool felt at www.achildsdream.com or at www.novanatural.com

The felt from your link is National Nonwoven's felt. It's 20% wool/80% rayon. I have some and to be honest you really can't tell the difference between the 20%and the 100%felt...unless it's handmade.

Some Joanns carry National Nonwoven's 20% wool felt by the yard. I think it's about $10/yd...even better with a coupon! ;) and saves on shipping. But that price is about what I've seen it for.

I use that felt with my daughter a lot. I get it from www.colonialcrafts.com if not at Joanns...they have a large color selection and sell it in bigger pieces.

HTH!
  5. Melaniee

Melaniee New Member

Thank you so much for that information. With my felt-work experience (hhmm...that would be zero) I think I'll be purchasing the blend.

Thanks again for the info & the links.

Melanie
  6. Dannielle

Dannielle Princess Nimble-Thimble

you'll like the wool/rayon blend felt. :) It's WAY nicer than the acrylic craft "felt" you see in stores. It would take me a good look and feel to distinguish 100% wool from wool blend felt...but I could pick out acrylic felt from across the room!

Ya gonna show pics of what you make?? ;)
  7. Momof6

Momof6 Amity's Focus Member

Thank you for asking!!!

Can I add another question? (Danielle, need your wisdom)

Anyway, remember I am rural so I most likely need online or catalog sources.

I need the wool stuffing that I'd need to make the Mother Earth in that book that I just got from Amazon. (duh, what is it called?.....clean carded wool??)

Ok, I'm going to use the blend you talked about above for my first attempts.

I also need that stocking in flesh colors for the face/hands.....and is it the same stuff that you use under the "skin" for when you make the head???

Please tell me I can get the stick (to make her stand) and the other wooden items (to make gnomes) at Wal Mart??? That is the only shopping I have. If not...online somewhere???

I want to order small to start to make sure I have the patience for this. *lol* Our new house is big enough for a nature table!!! Woo Hoo! I just need to buy a table. :D (we have so little furniture that our new home will be bare until we can slowly buy furniture...but I'm not complaining!!)

Anyway, Thanks and I hope it is ok that I asked my additional questions here. :)

Hugs,

Michelle