Banana Bread/Muffins - GF

Discussion in 'Special Needs FAQ' started by MotherMoon, Jul 15, 2004.

1. MotherMoon

MotherMoon Super Crunch in AL

somewhere between complete exhaustion and utter eu
    Here is the recipe. It was originally from Cooking Gluten-Free!
    by Karen Robertson but I have tweaked it a little.

1/2 cup unsalted butter (or coconut oil for DF)
    1 cup sugar (I often use 3/4 cup honey)
    1 tsp vanilla extract (I use 1/4 tsp Authentic Foods Vanilla Powder)
    2 eggs
    4 medium ripe banana peeled and mashed
    1 tsp milk (I use almond milk or coconut milk)
    2 cups Wendy Wark's flour mix (see below)
    1/2 tsp xanthum or guar gum
    1 tsp baking soda
    1/4 tsp salt
    to taste: cinnamon, nutmed and pumpkin pie spice (I use 1 tsp each)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease pan (5 x9 loaf, two mini loaves, 24 mini-muffin, 12 muffin)

Cream butter (coconut oil), sugar and vanilla on high speed until pale in color and light in texture (color depends on ingredients, honey stays darker). Beat in eggs one at a time until well blended. With a fork, mix bananas and milk in small bowl and set aside. In another bowl, combine the flour, gum, baking soda and salt. Blend dry ingredients into the creamed mixture alternating with banana mixture.

Pour into prepared pan and bake. 1 hour for 5 X 9, 30 to 45 min for mini loaf and muffins. (I bake until they look golden, then turn off the oven and leave in for a little while long until dark golden. It seems to help them get done all the way through. I use mini-muffin most often.) Remove pan from oven and cool completely on wire rack. If using standard GF flour mix, at 1/4 tsp xantham or guar gum.

Wendy Wark's Flour mix (I use this everywhere) from Living Healthy with Celiac Disease (AnAffect, 1998)

1 cup brown rice flour (I use 1 1/4 cup)
    1 1/4 cup white rice flour (I use 1 cup)
    1/4 cup potato starch (I use arrowroot, it is cheaper for me)
    2/3 cup tapioca starch
    3/4 sweet rice flour (available at asian markets)
    1/3 cup corn starch (or potato or arrowroot if allergic)
    2 tsp xantham or guar gum

You may use all brown rice and no white rice flour but I can't handle the graininess that way. I have not found a finely ground brown rice flour.
  2. mamabear

mamabear ~*~smile~*~

I made these quick on Friday for our weekend at Disney. I made some substitutions and they came out awesome!

I used only 3/4 cup sugar altogether, about 1/4 cup white sugar and 1/2 cup Rapadura unprocessed cane sugar.

For the flour mix, I used:
    1 cup brown rice flour
    2 cups sorghum flour
    1/4 cup potato starch
    2/3 cup tapioca starch
    1/3 cup cornstarch
    2 tsp xanthan gum

I followed the recipe exactly other than that, using coconut oil for the butter.

These came out so great, they were a huge hit with everyone. Dh is notoriously picky and he loved them. Jacob loved them and will eat them!

They were a bit on the sweet side, maybe because sorghum is more naturally sweet? I think I could've even decreased sugar to 1/2 cup and they would still have tasted yummy. Oh, also, I used about 5 small, very very ripe bananas.

Thanks for the recipe!!! I am thrilled. I subbed just because I was out of white and sweet rice flours...I was nervous, and in a hurry, and I was so pleased with the results.
  3. MotherMoon

MotherMoon Super Crunch in AL

somewhere between complete exhaustion and utter eu
    I am glad you liked them. I came up with some other recipes (modifying other's recipes) yesterday. I forgot to bring them in today to type up. One is a carrot, banana, pineapple, raisin bread. The other is pumpkin or banana spice cookies I modified off a regular flour recipe.

I also cooked a loaf of bread (not Tom's) this weekend that even my DH ate not knowing (and I never told) that it was GF. It was even cold, several hours old.
  4. mamabear

mamabear ~*~smile~*~

bump! these are my fave muffins...thanks again Michelle! :butterfly
  5. mamabear

mamabear ~*~smile~*~

bump:butterfly
  6. hannahsorchard

hannahsorchard Happy... so very happy :)

thanks for the bump, for some reason i couldnt find this earlier! :)