article in nyt, on missionaries

Discussion in 'Spiritual Discussions' started by Ariadne Umbrell, Mar 13, 2010.

1. Ariadne Umbrell

Ariadne Umbrell New Member

2. Ariadne Umbrell

cheesy title to the article- it really is about World Vision, not the usual sodom sort of thing.
  3. Robin

Robin Jesus Follower

Very interesting.
  4. annsni

annsni Amity's Focus Member

Well, I certainly will disagree that the big sin in Sodom and Gomorrah is that they were selfish and didn't help the needy. And I disagree that churches should take their focus off of the Gospel and instead promote charity. I do agree that Christians need to get off their collective fat butts and do what they can to help the needy because there is so much that we can do. The church's primary role is to equip the saints and spread the Gospel but oftentimes, no one will listen to the Gospel with an empty stomach and we need to meet the physical needs as well as the spiritual needs. I also know first hand that the church is a PRIME target for those who make their living by being needy and discernment is of primary importance. But there is no use in just feeding them to send them to hell nice and fat. We need to also address the greatest need they have - the need for a relationship with their Savior Jesus Christ.
  5. mamajandtheboys

mamajandtheboys Amity's Focus Member

:agreed: and :lol: at this "there is no use in just feeding them to send them to hell nice and fat."

i :heart: you, ann :)
  6. TeriMomOf4

TeriMomOf4 Active Member

I went to the World Vision website to see the criteria for volunteering or working for them. You HAVE to sign a statement of faith in order to work for them.
    So, saying that non-religious people do not volunteer to work at an orphanage in Africa as often as a Christian really isn't fair if there are not opportunities for non-religious people TO volunteer.
  7. annsni

annsni Amity's Focus Member

I'm sure other organizations are welcome to do their own work. A Christian organization will have a completely different foundation for all of their work and decisions than a secular organization would and to mix the two would cause great grief. Both can work towards the same goal but both will do their work differently.
  8. Ariadne Umbrell

Work in the Field | Doctors Without Borders if you're really interested in volunteering.

If you wanted to donate money, you could do it through the yarn harlot website. She's inspired over a million dollars worth of giving, and she's explicitly atheist.

Also, any of the Unicef, or other un missions are explicitly non- religious. For that matter, peace corps.

Isn't there a princes' trust, or something like that, in england, as well?

ari