Are there large families that aren't religious?

Discussion in 'Large Families' started by Variant, Mar 11, 2007.

1. Variant

Variant New Member

IOW if there are other large families that aren't religious. We're not quiverful, we just happen to have a big family. Didn't you know that deployments cause pregnancy? :lol:

I've seen the Duggars and am planning on watching Kids by the Dozen on TLC. There are tons of Christian homeschoolers out there that have big families. I live in Louisiana and am surrounded by religious homeschoolers, some with big families. We often get asked if we're Catholic.

So, I'm curious -- are you a non-religious big family? Do you know of any?
  2. JZDmama

JZDmama Boobylicious Breeder

Well, if you conisder 4 kids a large family, then that would be us. :)

We are not religious at all. We don't have plans for any more kids though.
  3. Stacebabe

Stacebabe New Member

We live in French Catholic land, so people think we are Catholic. We are not religious. I hate people assuming we are Catholic or Christian. David is a taoist, I'm a little taoist and wiccan. I'm lucky to have a partner who is well read on religion(he knows about most and have read most religions holy books) and he can make his point very clear, and he also will understand the other persons religion.
  4. SmartyMama

SmartyMama New Member

we are large and non-Christian. I get asked all of the time if we are Catholic or Mormon. I just say "no, I'm crazy!" I do not know any non-Christian large families.
  5. TateFlynnLeo

TateFlynnLeo ...and baby Koen

Large-ish here and not religious...
  6. mom2boys

mom2boys plus b/g twins too !

We're not religious, 4 kids here and no more in the future !:) There's just no room in this 1600 sq ft house!:lol:
  7. Jenn4262

Jenn4262 Following my path

We're not religious, and we're working on number 7 :)
  8. Stacebabe

Stacebabe New Member

Been asked if we were Mormon too.
  9. jma924

jma924 New Member

Well, just b/c one is religious doesn't necessarily mean they are "quiverful" either....We are religious, but we have chosen to have 4 children b/c we both love children and raising them....we're not quite quiverful though, so we'll be done after this!
  10. freedomlover

freedomlover ReaderOfThreads

A lot of women like having babies and raising children and have large families but are not religious.

I think women who had rough pregnancies and recoveries from them or who don't want to go through the rigamaroll of raising many of them through the various stages or who can not afford to have more don't.

There are so many factors involved in family sizes that it is mind boggling!

~Mari (mom to only three due to it physically knocking me off my feet each time ....heck....I even had a seven year gap between my last two!)
  11. 4forMe

4forMe Used to be Mamax3

We are not religious......... just horney. :lol:
  12. Robin

Robin Jesus Follower

:ditto:

Well except #4 wasn't planned. :lol:
  13. Variant

Variant New Member

:lol:

We waited quite a while to tell friends and family about #7 because we were sure they would react negatively. And in all honesty, we weren't planning on having more children. Dh just returned (literally) from a one-year deployment in Iraq and it just happened. We've had 3 immediately-after-a-deployment babies.
  14. monarchcmj

monarchcmj Active Member

We have 4 kiddos and we are not religious at all.
  15. momufactured

momufactured Just me!

I know several large families IRL (one with 9 kiddos and one with 13!) that aren't religious :) Though, maybe some families who are religious don't have big families FOR religious reasons either.
  16. 5littlebugs

5littlebugs New Member

We have six kiddos and are not religious.
  17. htw290

htw290 New Member

We have five kids not for religous reasons - we just love babies!
  18. TCinSA

TCinSA New Member

Hi, I have 7 and we are not religious at all. But I do understand the question. We homeschool, homebirth, don't vaccinate, co-sleep and breastfeed way past what most families do in this country. We seem to be viewed with a wary eye by those with smaller, more mainstream families and new people always assume I must be very religious. I think this comes from many of the highly religious people who say that they want as many children as God gives them. Don't get me wrong, I admire and respect people with strong religious convictions. But we also seem to be viewed with a wary eye by many religious persons with big families. I have had some problems finding non faith-based homeschool events because it is hard for us to fit into the religious ones. The ones here seem to be created so that religious homeschooling families will be able to socialize and learn with others who share their convictions. I respect that, of course, but it has caused me to wonder if there are any other moms with big families who just like kids? I have loved reading all the posts in this thread because there seem to be quite a few of us!
  19. shana1

shana1 Amity's Focus Member

we are christian but that has nothing to do with how many kids we have, i.e, i can use birth control etc if i want. We have our kids because we chose to have them not because of any religious beliefs.
  20. Kerrilynn62000

Kerrilynn62000 New Member

We also get that question all the time!! My DH was Catholic & has a French ancestory & we have a French last name. He also has Irish ancestory (as do I ). So we tell them he was French & Irish Catholic but he isn't practising his religion. That totally messes others up. They ask if I am mormon & comment about a "quiverful" as well.

I am a spiritual person but not "religious" and so having a large family has nothing to do with religion.

We also did not homeschool for religious reasons either, another assumption other people have when we hs & have a large family or even when we had fewer kids & hsed.

They ask if we are educated (is that rude or what!?!) and I state that yes we are and we are intelligent too!

I have had people tell me I must be strong to have taken on such a "burden". Ummm...I have NEVER considered my children a burden, thank-you very much!

It is nice to know there are others out there that "get it" though. Even if there aren't many of us, but I have already figured out there aren't very many people out there like me or families like mine!

I do consider myself blessed that I do have some very close friends with similar interests & passions. Even though we can't choose our family (aka our parents & siblings) we do get to choose our friends!!

Kerri mom to:

Amanda(17), Emma(15), Maddison(13), foster dd(12),
    Jonah(10), foster ds(10), Saige & Claire(7, identical twin girls), foster dd(6),
    foster ds(5), my little boy Teagan(3) PLUS: 2 horses, 1 pony, 3 dogs, 2
    cats, 1bunny rabbit, 4 guinea pigs, 3 rats( one is naked!), 1 teddy bear
    hamster & 3 dwarf hamsters & fostering a fuzzy orange tabby
    kitten