Anyone starting to plan their garden?? questions about container gardening

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by eyesoftheworld, Mar 14, 2010.

1. I am planning my first vegetable container garden. I'm wondering if anyone has done this before and if you have any tips of links to share :)

What are you all doing with your gardens this year?? I know jeni has just started a blog about her garden, hopefully she will pop in and share the link :)
  2. TeriMomOf4

TeriMomOf4 Active Member

We have started our seeds indoors and they are really starting to come up now. Our last freeze happens by the end of March, so our plant date is usually the first week of April.
  3. Our last frost date is may 20th!
  4. artemis33

artemis33 Amity's Focus Member

I've started some cool weather crops - will be putting in starts of spinach, lettuces and hopefully leeks this week. Already have garlic and shallots in....they should have gone in last fall but I just got them in a couple weeks ago (was in my first tri during fall planting season and nothing got done!).

I will be doing as much as I can, but since I'm having a baby next month I need to simplify a little. For me, that means relying more on nursery starts of tomatoes and greens and such instead of starting my own. When the warm weather crops go in I should be able to direct seed those though (beans, squash, etc).

For containers, small tomato plants work great! My very favorite cherry tomato is sungold. They can get pretty huge, but you could keep them more compact if you want. And of course there are others that are suited to containers. But Sungolds are so delicious!!!

Otherwise, herbs, greens, carrots and strawberries all do well in containers IME. Green onions, too.

Have fun! I am really eager to get to work out there, but planting with a big 8 month preggo belly is NOT easy! LOL
  5. Chickapea

Chickapea Guest

We just started our raised bed gardens today! :) We just used wood that we had around the house, but have to go to the landfill and find more. So far we only have 4 beds and they are of varying sizes.
  6. chrissymama

chrissymama Amity's Focus Member

We're going to plant kale, swiss chard, sugar snap peas, and shelling peas this week. Those we'll start from seed.

Probably around Easter, we'll put the rest in. We're going to do a lot of flowers this year b/c we're joining a CSA for the first time, so we'll get a lot of great veggies from there. But still, we'll do some tomatoes, cucumbers, pumpkins (a few kinds, I think) and watermelons.
  7. I'm going to pick up some big planters this week from Ollies, they have some really big, funky ones. I'm hoping to plant lettuce, spinach, basil, parsley, tomatoes, peas, green beans, broccoli, strawberries and cauliflower.
  8. OnTheBrink

OnTheBrink Amity's Focus Member

We do square foot gardening in raised beds. We have two 4x2 boxes and four 6x3 boxes. We have planted:
    cherry tomatoes
    yellow plum tomatoes
    big boy tomatoes
    yellow bell pepper
    orange bell pepper
    eggplant
    red onions
    white onions
    strawberries
    cabbage
    cantaloupe
    watermelon
    snap peas
    summer squash
    pole beans
    bush beans
    black n
    beans
    beets
    radishes
    carrots
    cucumbers
    lettuce
    spinach
    parsley
    basil
    catnip
    spearmint
    thyme
    dill
    stevia
    oregano

I think that's it. It's a mix of seeds and seedlings. We stagger planting the seeds on things like carrots, radishes, mesclun, etc.
  9. hannahsorchard

hannahsorchard Happy... so very happy :)

I was going to plant some food this year but realized today that that prob isn't a good idea since our rental home is very old and has lead paint. I thought of this as I was raking just a little while ago and found that I was raking up some flakes of paint from the bottom of the house. Hmph. So I don't want to plant in the ground at all here. Could I do raised beds or is that not a good idea either? Should I just go with containers?

I need to figure out what all I can grow and when... I *think* I'm zone 5a.
  10. Maidenmyhome

Maidenmyhome New Member

We have started all our seeds indoors right now. Our last frost is still about 7 weeks away.
    So tempting to start planting early !
  11. xt

xt Active Member

I used to container garden when I had an apartment. I mostly grew herbs. It gets so hot here that plastic containers aren't all that brilliant, and I couldn't afford huge clay pots for tomatoes (which inevitably died in the too-hot plastic buckets).

This year, I'm doing a few things:
    Planted raspberries along the side of the house and 4 blueberries out front.

To do:
    Move azaleas to be with blueberries - for color and interest (since this will be a huge bed that takes up most of my front yard, and the HOA has to like it), and because they like the same soil.
    Move peach tree to front yard - this is because we have discovered that when it floods, neighbors' septics overflow down to my swampy area. I will not be growing food down there as a result.

Veggies:
    I'm growing tomatoes and some other really gangly stuff at a friend's farm. She wants help with garden chores. So while my DD takes riding lessons from her, so I'm going to work with the boys on the "community garden."

In my own yard:
    Maybe a couple of tomatoes. Asparagus, because I never plant it, thinking "I'll move too soon to enjoy it." Hmph. I'm doing it this time. I'd like to put in strawberries and rhubarb, too, but we'll see what the budget says.

Lots of veggies here: tomatillos, onions, brocolli, brussels sprouts, mustard greens, kale, spinach, lettuces, cilantro, parsley, basil, rosemary at least. Thinking about using the boxwoods I'm not fond of as supports for runner beans. :D
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
  12. chrissymama

chrissymama Amity's Focus Member

We have stuff coming up!

Last Wednesday we planted kale, chard, cabbage, sugar snap peas and shelling peas. Today I see lots of little baby kale, chard, and cabbage. I"m not sure if the peas are coming up yet or not, I think not but there are a few tiny green things that might be weeds or might be tiny baby peas.
  13. tara

tara Amity's Focus Member

Not doing container gardening, but working with raised beds that were set up by the previous owners to grow shrubs and vines. I'm taking out those plants to do veggies (it's about 40' x 3+' of south-facing, full sun exposure).

We used to grow tomatoes in containers and to be honest, it was hard to grow the traditional tomatoes in containers - they just didn't have enough space. I had great experiences with cherry/grape tomatoes, herbs, etc. Cukes and peppers failed, too. Not to say you shouldn't do it, b/c we only tried it a few times and didn't plan too well. I think if you have LARGE containers in which to grow (like Rubbermaid tubs) you could grow tomatoes.

Tara
  14. greentomatoes

greentomatoes New Member

I’m glad to see that many of you are growing your own gardens. Has anyone heard of the Truscuit “Home Farming Movement” Yet? If you already have a home garden, you should definitely take a look at our site. There is a tool called Crop Guide that has great information on how much space and sunlight certain crops need. Plus, you can also find handy Instructional Videos from the well known grandmaster gardener Paul James. triscuit.com/homefarming Home Farming Let me know what you think!