Anyone heard of a dressmaker Sewing machine

Discussion in 'Sewing & Craft' started by RebeckaK, Jun 30, 2005.

1. Debbie

Debbie New Member

I have a Dressmaker Model 2402. I am currently looking for parts because the feed dogs will not go up and down due to a broken coupling (cast iron). Not sure where mine was made. I'd say the one posted by Sandy was made in Japan. I have a couple of Japanese machines and they have similar dials, etc. They are very heavy. If anyone out there has a model 2402 they are parting out, please email me at dsharpe134@gmail.com. Thanks.
  2. Jorjag

Jorjag New Member

I was given a dressmaker machine today, it is a c55a model. I am trying to find info on it. It looks 30-40's it is kind of a metalic mint green. It looks like it has a spot for cams on top, it says zigzag on it. I am wondering if you know if this machine came with cams originally. Anything you can share would be greatly appreciated. You can email me at mommyg@hotmail.com please put dressmaker machine in the subject line. thanks.
  3. Crystal B

Crystal B New Member

I have a working Dressmaker sewing machine model 2402 that takes cams. It was dirty and needing oiling. Slide plate spring broken which I ordered. I found 30 cams pack to buy. No manual. I have it all figured out except the small knob that turns located to the right of the stitch width and above length/reverse dial. What is it supposed to do?
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2016
  4. Crystal B

Crystal B New Member

I tried to edit my post. The knob in question is located to the right of stitch width dial and directly above the reverse/stitch length dial.
  5. Crystal B

Crystal B New Member

Do you have a manual for model 2402? I'm trying to figure out purpose of knob to right of stitch width and directly above reverse knob/dials.
  6. Debbie

Debbie New Member

I have a manual on my computer. I'll send you a copy. Send me your email.
  7. Crystal B

Crystal B New Member

Thank you. Brileyc@triton.net
  8. Crystal B

Crystal B New Member

Thank you, Debbie. According to manual, guess that second knob us just another zigzag locking turn knob. Rather odd as I can zigzag using just the locking knob on the left. Now to figure out if there us a way to increase foot pressure as when mine is pushed all the way down, heavy stuff slips to easily and I bent two needles.
  9. Amy12

Amy12 New Member

So cute
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2016
  10. ClaireEllison

ClaireEllison New Member

Where can I buy one of these in the US? Just Retired from Wal-mart. We didn't sell that Brand there. Unless it is a Singer Dressmaker.There is actually a Brand Name Called Dressmaker. Which is it. Actual Dressmaker sewing Machine Made in Germany is Cast Iron. These German Sewing Machines are SO Easy to Repair; No kidding.
  11. Tansy

Tansy New Member

I just acquired a Dressmaker Model S3000A. Mine is blue & cream color, someone put it in a plastic universal sewing machine case. Someone left it at a site in my township where you can drop off things you no longer want but other people might like to have. I've cleaned it up, it looks pretty good. Needs a new bobbin case, missing at present. I've seen a manual online for it that I can order. I also saw that originally it came with a set of 24 metal cams that were made in Japan. I've looked online, only able to find a picture of them, unable to find any available at this time. I checked one online website that was for hard to find sewing machine parts, but the last time they had any available was 12 yrs ago, and stated they have been obsolete for a long time. Does anyone know if they make any replacement cams for them available at this time...may be in hard plastic or resin based material? Does anyone know if some cams from other brands, such as, Rikker, who also have sets of 24 cams available for sale online, might fit this machine??? Maybe a far fetch question to ask, but trying to explore possible other options.
  12. Tansy

Tansy New Member

Hi, Just wanted to let you all know that I found the answer or solution to some of my questions in my first posting. I found that a universal Japanese or Singer zig zig side loading steel bobbin case fits it and works well in the machine. This bobbin case is the same that fits in many Singer, New Home, Brother and other similar machines. Re cams: I found a set of 24 mint green plastic cams on Ebay that matched the numbers and embroidery stitches by the same stitch number and stitch design on the machine that I have. The plastic case they come in is also mint green with the words zig zag design cams on cover, if this helps anyone looking for a set of cams for their Dressmaker machine. From my looking at numerous cam sets on Ebay, I've learned cam sets are not universal for all machines. Each cam has a specific design - the number & cam stitch design has to correspond with a corresponding design on the machine that it is designated for. Just got my owner's manual in mail today. Eager to try using the cams, I've never used cams before & want to see how the stitches turn out with the different cams.
    ChantingMama likes this.