Anyone heard of a dressmaker Sewing machine

Discussion in 'Sewing & Craft' started by RebeckaK, Jun 30, 2005.

1. RebeckaK

RebeckaK Nose Picker

Someone at my church is selling hers for 140.00 My dad has been wanting a sewing machine for quite some time. She said the brand was dressmaker and she thought it was bought at Walmart. It is 2 years old but never used. Watcha think?
    Oh, she said it was metal, portable, and had all the accessories and such with it.
  2. TurtleMa

TurtleMa Amity's Focus Member

hmm I have a vintage Dressmaker it was my mom's from the early 70's. IT is a really sturdy machine. I actually think it is a rebranded Singer

I have no idea about the modern ones. But if it's sold at walmart I'd be wary.
  3. milosmom

milosmom New Member

140 sounds like a lot for a used walmart machine. have you guys already looked around for a used on at your local sew&vacs and such? i have a wonderful dressmaker from the early 70s, too. the sew&vac woman that i bought it from said it was a semi-industrial machine made in scandinavia. i doubt it has any relation to the walmart version, though. i think i would look around some if i was you.
  4. Mamaheart7

Mamaheart7 the world is quiet here

Boy, this is puzzling. Dressmaker is an all-metal machine, but older . . . made through the 50's, 60's, 70's, then not made anymore.

I see 'em ALL the time at the thrift stores for around $20. They seem to be a sturdy enough machine, some I've seen have been in some cute metallic colors (I frequently see really pretty teal ones), but I would never pay $140 for one.
  5. TurtleMa

you guys know what? When I was researching my machine I came across some "dressmakers" they were the name of a modle for some brand. I want to say europro. I"ll see if I can find it again. IIRC they looked like a cheapy machine.

Thanks for the info that they were scandinavian made. I haven't been able to find any info on mine. The timing is off and I need to take it in. I even have a complet set of 30 or so cams for it. I love it.
  6. milosmom

milosmom New Member

Michelle, have you seen this site? they might know something about them there. a couple of weeks ago, i emailed them because i wanted to get a manual, but i don't know what model mine is. it's definately not any of the ones pictured. mine looks like this. is that what yours looks like? but, anyhow, they never got back to me. maybe my email just got lost and i should try again... i totally love my machine, though!

Kim, i wish i would run into one at a thrift store. especially a cute teal metallic one. lol i'd snap it up for sure.
  7. TurtleMa

I saw that site yesterday but not when I was trying to research. lol

My machine looks similar to yours but without the wood grain. It doesn't have the sliding levers, it had a silver button for the back stitch and it takes cams for zig zag and decorative stitches. MY mom got it for her and my dad's first anniversary. SHe said she was so excited and scared to buy it because she had never spent over $100 on any one thing before. lol THis was in 1972. Boy things change!

I need to go open it up because I can't remeber the modle number. I should email those people too!
  8. lemonsong

lemonsong I'm feelin alright

I have a dressmaker machine. We bought it at WalMart in 1994 for $99. (it's the very, very, very basic model though) It's always been a good machine for me but I do have to agree that $140 sounds like a bit much. It really *is* a decent workhorse though. :)
  9. capmowers

capmowers New Member

I have a dressmaker sewing machine that I bought at an auction.I did not get a manual or anything with this machine. I love this machine model# 2402, but I cannot find the cams so I can do the fancy stitches..could you possibly email me a picture up close of the cams so I can perhaps find them somewhere??
  10. PraznGod

PraznGod Guest

Ok if itis a 2 year old machine I'd say no and definitely NOT for $140! Singers are not what they used to be.
  11. RebeckaK

RebeckaK Nose Picker

Boy, it's weird to see an old post ressurected.

What's even weirder is to realize that I have no conscious memory of this event or the posting of the question.
  12. okiejean

okiejean New Member

dressmaker machine

I've had a dressmaker brand sewing machine for over 25 years and have always been very happy with it - used it for everything from very fine material sewing, (prom dresses, etc.) to canvas boat covers. It is a great machine!
  13. BLRobinson

BLRobinson New Member

I found a Dressmaker 929 Zig Zag sewing machine on the side of the road in a cabinette that some one was getting rid of. Bought a Bobbin Holder and two spool spindles for it and it's like a Brand new sewing machine. I hadn't heard of one either until then. If you buy the one you're thinking of and need parts for it; I found the best place for the Parts and this man that owns the company looked at a cell phone photo of what I needed and sent the exact Parts I needed. The web site is a1sewingmachine.com send an e-mail to Ron@a1sewingmachine.com These sewing machines are no longer made. But there are a lot of companies I have found through research that still make after market Parts. These machines were made in four different countries. Chicago, Illinois: most were made in Germany, Canada and in the UK. Replacement Parts are made in Germany, Japan and China and a few in the UK.
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2010
  14. BLRobinson

BLRobinson New Member

Just Retired from Wal-mart. We didn't sell that Brand there. Unless it is a Singer Dressmaker. There is actually a Brand Name Called Dressmaker. Which is it. Actual Dressmaker sewing Machine Made in Germany is Cast Iron. These German Sewing Machines are SO Easy to Repair; No kidding.
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2010