Anyone have an idea why my serger needle thread keeps breaking?

Discussion in 'Sewing & Craft' started by brayg, Jan 16, 2006.

1. brayg

brayg Evil Genius

I have a Brother 1034D--sew on it daily. Have had it about a year and a half or so. Never any problems. So recently, while serging, the right needle thread keeps breaking. Only the right...never the left. I've changed needles twice (same needles I always use), put new cones in, rethreaded numerous times, changed the tension (which I've been using the same tension since I bought it--not sure why that would be an issue all of a sudden), cleaned and oiled...I'm not serging anything different than I always do--I'm making diapers. I'm stumped. Can anyone think of any other reason why this would happen?
  2. martinanne

martinanne Loving my girls!

Is it possible one of the kids might have tightened the presser foot pressure knob on the top (silver)? Seems like I had that problem once (serging diapers, too) and loosening that turned out to be the solution.
  3. brayg

brayg Evil Genius

no--the kids don't go in my sewing room. Hmmm...
  4. Mina687

Mina687 New Member

Have you checked to make sure there are no fluffs or lose bits of thread in the tension disc? Or that there are no issues with the tention disc, as in breakage or anything? Hmm The only other thing I can think of is that your timming may be off. In that case then servicing is the only answer. I hope you can find the issue and that servicing isn't needed. :happy:
  5. Jrnme

Jrnme Boy Crazy!!!

When you rethreaded, did you take all 4 threads all the way out and start all over? That and once you have it all out i'd blow it out with some canned air before re threading. Someone mentioned one time running floss threw your tension disks to make sure there's no stuck threads too.
  6. brayg

brayg Evil Genius

yep--I took them all the way out.

I just blew into the tension disks. I sewed 2 soakers with no trouble, but that has happened before--it's kind of intermittent. I can sew a diaper or two and then all of a sudden, the thread is just hanging there, unthreaded. It's really strange. I'll be sewing some more at naptime this afternoon and report back. It really has me completely stumped. Thanks mamas! :)
  7. Danaia

Danaia New Member

It sounds like it may be a timing issue. Have you taken it to be cleaned at all?
  8. DixieChick

DixieChick One Hot Mama!

Are you sure it isn't the thread? Could you have a faulty cone of maxilock with a cut in it? Try a different spool of thread and see if that works. Send the cone in to Maxilock and they will send you goodies, if ti is a sliced cone.
  9. brayg

brayg Evil Genius

Well, of course not--that would cost money! LOL! ;) I haven't tested it again--I have 2 more dipes to serge up in a bit and we'll see if anything else I've done has helped.
  10. brayg

brayg Evil Genius

No--I switched out the thread cones completely with new cones.

I've had a slashed cone--I already got a box of maxilock goodies last year.
  11. Danaia

Danaia New Member

LOL! I'm the same way. It shouldn't cost much to have your timing adjusted if it's just a tad off.
  12. brayg

brayg Evil Genius

K--adding to my "stumped-ness", it serged 3 soakers and 2 diapers just fine and then the right needle thread "broke" again (I say "broke", but I'm not sure what is happening, really...all of a sudden, it's just flapping around and no longer threaded). So I just rethreaded it and continued on my merry way. Did a few more soakers and then the left needle thread did the same thing. No biggie, really...I just rethread it and keep going, but it's weird. I have a backup machine (same model! LOL!) so I may just start using that one again for a while, but it's just strange. :::scratching head:::
  13. bescal

bescal New Member

You are not alone. Did you ever find a solution. I have two Singer 14u34 sergers and both of them consistently comes un-threaded on the right needle only. The thread acts just as you described on your machine. It does not matter what kind of fabric I am sewing on. I usually just go ahead and sew without the right thread and if I need a tight seam I will finish it of with a regular machine. But that defeats the purpose of a serger. I would be interested in knowing if you have found the solution.