Anyone else interested in doing the preschooler bag swap that missed it?

Discussion in 'Alternative Learning' started by mamakven, Jun 30, 2004.

1. mamakven

mamakven New Member

Shelly--

Yes, please edit your post to include what you would like to make. you have some time to think about it, decisions need to be made by July 10 :)
  2. Shannon

Shannon Amity's Focus Member

Would anyone object to me sending paint chips? Would it be unethical for me to go to a store and get a load of them to send?:p

I did get a bunch awhile back for my ds. I asked the clerk working there and he said he didn't mind. LOL

We did several different things with them. He already knew colors, but some things like lavender stumped him (he didn't realize it was purple).

I have several ideas for them if no one objects.
  3. joyfuljourneys

joyfuljourneys seeking myself

I'm in (almost for sure,,I will know for positive by the 10th when we have to be in or out...I am pretty immersed with getting my Grandparents transitioned to a nursing home and sorting through their belongings,,but we should be settled by next week...)

OK,,I have dibs in the "I Spy" bottles,,thought I will need a whole troop to help me get enought empty bottles, better start now! (I will make them small, not 2 liters..)

Update:

OK,, I am in, grandparents are settled in and life is slowing down again. (Plus my DH is excited to help with this one!)

but I am going to find a different activity,,when I started thinking about how heavy a pacakge with the bottle with birdseed would be, and then the increased postage to all of you, I sort of realized it would not be a good idea! I need to take the time later today to read through the posts and see what everyone else is doing..then I will come up with something new.
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2004
  4. Lizscloth

Lizscloth Boys-r-us

I would love to join :)

:)
    Liz
  5. duckydolittle

duckydolittle Quack! Quack!

I want to join!!!!
  6. TeresaLock

TeresaLock Active Member

I'll do an alphabet/number wrap. It will have the alphabet on one side that they'll do and numbers on the other. It's like the usborne wraps. Do we have a mast list so far?
  7. mamakven

mamakven New Member

List of participants so far:

OK, i'll update this as y'all post what you are making! :)
    Using usernames for simplicity's sake

1. Mamakven-- pasta match
    2. Amamasluv-- Seed germination bags
    3. Shannon
    5. Elducko--cut the line stickers
    7. Snugglbond-- number match
    8. Korwynne- undecided but for sure participating
    10. mamaxt-- super cool felt set!!!
    12. shelly tweezers pony beads
    13. cnbrad--alphabet dominoes
    14. joyfuljourneys-- i spy bottles
    16. snow white-- colors activity
    17. TeresaLock--alphabet number wrap
    18. Grtlyblesd-- stick puppets
    19. Grtlyblesd--special note packs
    20. lillaurensmomma- pony beads and straws

Right on mamas!! we have 17 so far! this is going to be fantastic!

please let me know if i missed anyone or if i messed up your username or your choice :)
    rebecca
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2004
  8. grtlyblesd

grtlyblesd Amity's Focus Member

If no one objects, I'd like to do two sets of things and receive duplicate items back. This year I'll have 2 first graders and two preschoolers. Eek! I'm guessing I'll use some things, like the plant sprouting kits for the older two, and some things like color games for the younger two.

I'd like to do stick puppet kits for one group of items, and special note packs for the other group.
  9. ElDucko

ElDucko Amity's Focus Member

I'm just having a hard time coming up with something....

jessica....

edited to say...I could easily do the cutting to the sticker one...I really athe clothes line idea I found but don't know where to find that many clothes pins...
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2004
  10. mamakven

mamakven New Member

some ideas..

I c&p'd some of the ideas from that post above.. i'm drawing a blank right now NO clue why! i used to be a daycare provider, in the military even where they provide lots of on the job training! if anyone else has any ideas, feel free to speak up!! even if you have one, maybe you can help someone else pickone..

2. Pattern matching / recognition. String some plastic pony beads onto a plastic drinking straw in an easy pattern of alternating colors. Hot glue the first & last beads so they are permanent and won't come off. Provide child with another plastic drinking straw and supply of pony beads in various colors. Have the child attempt to create string(s) of beads to match your sample(s). The straws are easier to thread than string and the samples lay flat on the table. I used colored straws for my samples and provided white straws for the child's use so he knew right away which ones where the samples (and wouldn't try to pull off the glued ones.) You can make this easier/harder by making more complicated patterns, ask "what comes next in the pattern," and so on.

3. Sorting. Provide a supply of nuts & bolts OR different kinds of pasta shapes OR different colors/types of paper clips OR something else that is small and can be sorted. Glue ONE of each major "type" onto an index card (I sometimes use wide clear packing tape to affix items to the card - you can see through it & its more permanent than glue.) Have the child sort the items by matching them up to the "type cards." Make this harder by requiring the sorts to be "by size only" or "by size AND type" etc.

For variety I sometimes would glue the "item" onto a spring clothes pin. I'd clip the pin onto the edge of a small plastic oleo dish - then when he picked an item from the "supply" bucket he was to drop it into the right dish. It's still a sorting activity, but the variety of manipulating the clothes pin was interesting to him ??. We stored the oleo dishes in our Activity Box because we used them for a variety of different bag activities (counting, etc.).

FINE MOTOR

1. Cutting. Provide ½ sheets of paper onto which you have drawn simple wavy lines with a wide black marker. I used to put stickers at the ends of the lines (birds, butterflies, bugs, cars, space ships - something interesting to "go for." Draw 2 or 3 lines on each ½ sheet - the lines should be roughly parallel, not intersecting. Provide scissors and say "Can you cut along the line to all the way to the bird (or whatever.) Graduate to simple closed shapes instead of lines.

2. Toothpick Punched Art. Layer a folded tea towel or face cloth, blank ½ sheet of black construction paper, ½ sheet of paper with simple "pattern" (heart, star, circle, square, etc.) drawn in heavy black marker (or print from computer). Layer so that towel is on table, pattern sheet is on top. Provide tooth pick and tell child to poke holes in the white pattern paper along the edges of the heart (circle, star, etc.). When done he'll like to hold his black punched piece up to the window to see the shape he made. I put lots of pattern pieces, lots of black construction pages and one face cloth in the activity bag along with 2 wooden clothes pins to hold the "sandwich" together while the child worked. He'd pick a different shape each time. We displayed the results by taping the black punched pages on the sliding glass door (sun shines through the holes).

3. Tweezers & pony beads. I had a supply (6-8) of medicine dose cups that come off the top of cough syrup bottles. I glued a different colored bead into the bottom of each cup. Then I provided a supply of beads (in those colors) and a pair of tweezers. Say, "can you use only the tweezers to move the beads to the right (matching) colored cups?" Let the child work for 5 or so minutes then count the beads before putting them back in the "supply" - sort of a cross-over counting, sorting, fine motor activity.

4. Tracing. Provide ½ sheets with simple shapes (similar to the ones from the toothpick art activity) and ½ sheets of tracing paper. I put a small clip board in this bag to hold the two pages together while the child worked - along with a marker or crayon.

LANGUAGE ARTS

All my activity bags for this subject shared the same goal - to teach DS beginning consonant sounds. I mainly used a variety of pictures clear-taped onto index cards and a set of plastic letters (like the magnet type used on ‘fridge.) Then I'd have him do matching activities. The reverse of the card always had the correct letter so this was self correcting. The best place to get lots of pictures (you need LOTS for this) is to buy alphabet books from yard sales at 10c to 20c each, then just cut them up! I got some from magazines but that's harder and more work! He especially liked to "work on the fridge" for this, so I had a bunch of plain magnets to attach the index cards to the fridge. I'd stick up the "B" magnet and have him go through the cards finding all the pictures that start with "buh, buh, buh."

Make it harder by making cards for consonant blends, ending consonants, etc.

COLORS.

Before you cut up those alphabet books take some BLACK & WHITE Xeroxes of various pages. Try to get pictures of items that are USUALLY one color (fruits, veggies & food items are good for this - i.e. bananas are always yellow, broccoli always green, etc.). Cut up the Xeroxed pictures, clear-taping one per index card. Have the child match the item with something else that shows the right color (crayons, colors on another index card, paint chips, whatever - or make a game board with different colored spaces for the item cards). The idea is to match the item with the appropriate color. Make lots of item cards (25-30). (This is probably only for 3 year olds ?)

EDITED TO ADD:

this site has some neat ideas too..

http://www.valeriebendt.com/preschool_years.asp
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2004
  11. momof3tots

momof3tots Remember me?

I have to skip out. Sorry ladies
  12. ElDucko

ElDucko Amity's Focus Member

Asking another question...

If I could find a bunch of clothes pins, I could make some paper doll clothes (and dolls if necessary) and I have yarn, the activity is hanging out the "wash" (doll clothes) to dry...is this too hard for preschoolers?

If I did the "cut along the line to the sticker" do I need to provide scissors for each bag?

I have to use as many supplies as we already have since dh doesn't have a job yet :(

jessica
  13. grtlyblesd

grtlyblesd Amity's Focus Member

I wouldn't think you'd need to provide scissors. That's pretty much a standard household item. I just bought 5 pairs of kid fiskars for the new school year.
  14. lillaurensmomma

lillaurensmomma Mustang Mama

I want to play!!! I'd like to do the pattern matching with ponybeads and straws as I was planning on making those for DD this week anyway!

j
  15. mamakven

mamakven New Member

Either is fine! if you do closepins, you can get them at walmart. they are in the ironing area, which in my walmart is by the plastic bins :)
  16. mamakven

mamakven New Member

HEADS UP!

Ok, guys, getting close to time to finalize what you want. how about we extend through the end of sunday, give y'all the weekend to make a decision for sure?

PLease go check my post and see if your info is correct, if i missed you or missed what you are making, or you want to be deleted, lmn! thanks,
    rebecca
  17. Chels~

Chels~ Moment by Moment

I am also going to have to drop out. Sorry!
  18. TeresaLock

TeresaLock Active Member

Jessica, i love that idea. My daughter would love it. We also have about 6 pairs of scissors in the house SOMEWHERE (LOL) so i wouldn't worry about that.
  19. Korwynne

Korwynne Mama of Miracles

I know this technically closed last night, but I just got in.. can I join? :)
  20. huntersmommy

huntersmommy New Member

I'm making some lacing cards. I bought some laminate sheets and some cut outs from the tteaching supply store. I'm going to punch out the holes and might put out stickers 1-10 by the holes or maybe ABC's. Not sure just depends on the priceof the stickers.

I don't have any plastic yarn needles and can't seem to find any so I'm thinking about suing new shoe laes. What do y ou all think?

Lori