Anyone else humiliated by Simplicity patterns?

Discussion in 'Sewing & Craft' started by jillbertx4, May 11, 2005.

1. jillbertx4

jillbertx4 New Member

Last night I made myself some simple shorts (simplicity 5562). OK. I measured myself and made the size according to measurements. Now.....I've had a few extra pounds on since my last baby and I've been working to take them off. I'm pleased that I'm fitting size 12 RTW stuff now (and sometimes 10!!! whooo hooo). According to the pattern, I needed to make size 16! 2 sizes bigger??!! And when they were done.....they were too tight. :( I'm throwing the pattern away. It depresses me to see the sizes going the "wrong" way......
  2. tkme4ard

tkme4ard lemons into lemonade mama

nope I am totally there
  3. mom2anj

mom2anj The Bag Lady

I hear ya! Made a couple of skirts last fall. According to them, I should have a 23" waist. My 7yo has a 23" waist. What normal adult (especially a woman who's had kids?!?) has a 23" waist?? I had to go up 4 sizes before the waistline would fit.

I have sworn off all of the big 3. I don't care if I can get them cheap--they aren't worth the aggravation and time it takes to refit them.
  4. martinanne

martinanne Loving my girls!

Good grief! I'm steering clear of Simplicity then!
  5. fw221

fw221 Amity's Focus Member

I've decided that Big 3 patterns are designed by the drunken monkeys. :D The children's patterns are 2-4 sizes too big (I made Lydia a jacket for her first Easter from a Big 3 pattern that she still fits). And women's patterns are too small.

Stick with Kwik Sew, Ottobre & Burda. :thumbsup:
  6. Shari

Shari New Member

Yes! This is exactly the problem I was having trying to make myself a few spring things. I generally don't sew for myself, but would like to start. I have made myself a few things from McCall's and they came out fine...but Simplicity...whoa baby! Won't be touching them again.
  7. kkdmommy

kkdmommy married 2 house clone

Yep, I think Simplicity is the worst too. I also have a New Look I'm happy with but it is depressing to cut it out when you know you're a sz 6 RTW and it takes a 12 to fit right. Humiliating...
  8. heather4285

heather4285 proud of who i am

i was just talking about this yesterday. kids stuff too big, my stuff too small :shake: very frustrating!
  9. SewSarahSew

SewSarahSew old username SAHMtoDaniel

Yeah, all the big 3 pattern companies sizing is way off. Seriously, it has no correlation to RTW! And did you know that most patterns are drafted for women with a size B cup? Did you know when you choose your pattern size, you are supposed to measure your high bust (right under your armpits) and not your actual full bust, to get the right size? There's an awesome book out there called "Fit for Real People" that shows you how to make patterns actually fit you, I highly recommend it.

Here, there are a few reviews of this book on patternreview.com: http://sewing.patternreview.com/cgi-bin/readbookreview.pl?readreview=1&reviewnum=4

One thing you can do before you even cut into your fabric, so you can tell if the fit on the pattern will even be in the ballpark and you won't be wasting precious sewing time, is to flat measure the pattern. Measure across the widest part of the hips on the pattern, lying flat, and then compare that measurement to an actual pair of pants that fit you well. You have to take the SA into account, but you get the idea.

Another thing I do all the time is take my sloper, my basic tshirt pattern or pants pattern that I have used a million times, and lay it underneath a new pattern I'm trying out. Right away I can see if the bust is going to be way to small, or the shoulders way too wide, or the short way too shirt. And it just takes a minute to do this. I use the basic lines on my sloper to adjust the new pattern so I know it will fit.

But as someone else already mentioned, Kwik Sew, Burda, and Ottobre are much more true to size, better drafted, fit better in general, blah blah blah. Those companies are much better choices!
  10. Pixie's~Mama

Pixie's~Mama Seamstress in a RTW world

Sarah has some really good advice. I do both of the things she recommends ~ measuring the actual pattern -- you can't trust the measurments they give -- I do this on kid's patterns, too. And also comparing it to another pattern. :)
  11. Jennbenr

Jennbenr Live like you mean it!

Looking forward to whatever the future has in stor
    I dont buy Big 3 anymore unless I absolutely have to because of their sizing issues. Im a pretty run-of-the-mill size 10 rtw, 10L in pants. Everytime I would make something from a Big 3 (Simp, especially) I would have to make at least a 16 according to measurements. Even then, the fit was not right - too tight across the shoulders, too tight around "the girls" (and "my girls" are not exceptional ;) ), seams cutting into my underarms - ugh! :shake:
  12. Tap dancin mama

Tap dancin mama Amity's Focus Member

I hate it when I measure for the correct size, and whatever I made turns out huge. That always seems to happen to me when I make stuff for Marlie. :wah:

Does Burda make actual patterns or only a magazine?
  13. librarymama

librarymama New Member

In defense of the pattern companies, RTW sizes have drifted over time, while the pattern companies have maintained the same standard for years and years. When I was a teenager I wore a size 8 rtw, now I'm in, like, a size 2...and I haven't actually changed measurements. The psychology is that you'll be more apt to buy a pair of pants/skirt/whatever if you discover you can wear a seemingly smaller size ("oooh, I'll buy this brand because I can wear a 6 in it instead of an 8"), plus we associate snugger fit with chintzier manufacture ("cheapskate manufacturer didn't put enough ease in this blouse").

And, yes, back when my mom was young women DID have a 23" waist. Our family tends to be small waisted anyway, but I remember mom talking about this sort of being a standard of a good figure.

Having said that, if y'all want to have a Simplicity bonfire, I'm in. The fit drives me nuts. The directions drive me nuts.

And Burda does make patterns. They're distributed in US by Simplicity, half price at JoAnns.
  14. SewSarahSew

SewSarahSew old username SAHMtoDaniel

Yes, they do. I haven't found anyplace to buy them online, but they carry them at the JoAnn's I occasionally frequent. Of course they never go on sale for $0.99... I have gotten a few on e-bay too.
  15. MosaicMama

MosaicMama Amity's Focus Member

I sympathize, absolutely. It's a bit depressing. I made a skirt last week from a RTW pattern and had to make *4* sizes bigger than my normal RTW size! I just took a black pen and crossed off the sizes on the envelope, lol. In my case though, I made it from the measurements and it was too big. I had to take it in all over. One size smaller would have been better. I should have measured the pieces before sewing though, I know better. I *hate* Big 3 patterns!
  16. talkalot82

talkalot82 Guest

oh yeah.. I am making one now and according to simplicity I am a pattern size 20. when in real life im a 12. I had to go out and buy another pattern and 20 bucks more fabric. im so mad.