Anxiety/panic

Discussion in 'Teens and Preteens' started by Barb, Apr 5, 2014.

1. Barb

Barb Moderator Staff Member

Zoey is having major anxiety - about alot of things but right now primarily over starting high school. So much so, that she has 'trouble breathing' and then panics. We actually did allergy testing and chest xray over the breathing issues, and its not medical. We tried some anti anxiety meds and she didn't like them. She's so upset over high school that we're going to do online school instead - even tho she's registered to start public high school in the fall and has been at a charter school for this past year of middle school.

Anyone else deal with this?
  2. cherrysberries

cherrysberries Member

I am not currently dealing with this, but I do have some advise. If you can, find her a hypnotherapist who is also a psychologist and set up a few sessions for her this summer. It may really help. I have anxiety issues and it helped a lot with me. I did eventually have to get on medication (I do have some physical issues that contribute to my anxiety), but not everyone needs them. Just FIY I had to try multiple medications before I found one that is right for me. Often times, doctors prescribe an antidepressant to those who suffer anxiety. Many made the signs of anxiety worsen or made me not care about anything, they can also make you gain a lot of weight. Try taking her to the high school for a tour, call the school counselors and tell them the situation and ask them to give a tour.

Ask her what she feels anxious about when she thinks of the high school. Is it the size of the school or the number of people that attend? Is it individuals that have threatened her? Ask her to express her concerns and be open to what she tells you and take it seriously (even if it sounds minor).

Good Luck!
  3. Barb

Thanks... she is already a bit heavy so we really don't need to deal with weight gain. We've decided to do online high school after we toured the school. It's nothing specific... she does talk to me. Anxiety runs in our family. All of us suffer honestly.
  4. deb215

deb215 Active Member

5. Barb

we did try Passion flower last year, but it didn't do much, I'll look at the Calm supplement, but at this point we'll probably try meds. She needs something now to take the edge off so she can do some counseling.