An Ethiopian smorgasboard

Discussion in 'Food and Cooking' started by 3boysnagrl, Oct 10, 2010.

1. clane

clane Bookish Mama

This thread has me salivating and has also inspired me to try something new…

NILE ETHIOPIAN RESTAURANT is within a hour+ drive, and I think I may take the kids to try it soon.
  2. 3boysnagrl

3boysnagrl Amity's Focus Member

ok, so... I have a whole new respect for this seemingly simple food. :lol:

The greens, totally ruined. Bitter. blech. And they are my favorite. Not sure what I did/didn't do. oh well.

Injera - um - it tasted good - but it was rather sticky, and it's not supposed to be sticky/gummy. But, it was good. I will be trying again. It takes a lot of work, though... so I may end up just ordering it. I got up at 6 am and spend 2 HOURS just cooking the injera.

The potatoes/carrots/cabbage was - eh. I have made it much better before.

The yellow split peas were good. mmmm. And they are Chally's favorite. One of mine, too.

The best thing was the doro wat. OMG. This is how I made it:
    5 diced onions, cooked down for at LEAST 45-60 minutes until they started to get a little brownish tinge. I used about 1/2 cup of nitr kibeh (spiced clarified butter).
    Then I added about 1 cup of berbere and cooked for 5 minutes.
    I blederized (lol new word) 5 tomatoes and 1 can of tomato paste together and added it.
    Then I added in the chicken legs that had been soaking in lemon water for a couple of hours.
    Cooked that all together until the chicken was falling off the bone.

THAT was soooo yummy. I think everyone liked that one. I could have eaten the whole pot of doro wat with about half the injera. mmmmm
  3. Robin

Robin Jesus Follower

How did you cook the greens? You may need to cook longer or add a little acid to them.
  4. herc

herc Amity's Focus Member

yep, you also have to remove the center stalk, and it takes a LOT of salt. Ham is often cooked with them in the south because of the salt. If they are bitter they just need more cooking usually though. I have heard of people brining them to help remove some of the bitterness.