Alrighty ladies... I need some help finding entertainment about the USA

Discussion in 'Alternative Learning' started by BlueRoseMama, Jun 6, 2010.

1. BlueRoseMama

BlueRoseMama Amity's Focus Member

When I dare to be powerful -- to use my strength i
    I am looking for moives and books that are entertaining but for younger kids (8 - 13) about the individual states.

Things I have found for the ones we have done so far include:

Hawaii ~ Leilo and Stitch (only the first one)

Alaska ~ Alaska (Dad gets in an airplane crash and two kids go and save him, they also stop a poaching opperation on the way... for the older kids)

Stuff like that. Book ideas are getting scarce as we move away from the 'popular states' as well. Books for North Dakota? Or Missouri? Washington I found E Is For Evergreen, and for Oregon I found Apples to Oregon (Henderson Luelling, which we also studied when working on Oregon a little bit).

Anything like that... I was thinking it may be easier from other states to find/know books about your area. Because I know I had no issue until I moved away from the Pacific States (I live here).

Thanks so much!

BTW, if you are interested in our study we are doing... here is a link with all the info, links, and books we have used so far.

Homeschooling in the Rose Garden: USA Enjoy!
  2. Robin

Robin Jesus Follower

G read the books in a series called A Paradise Called Texas this year and enjoyed them.

I will look through my resources and books and see what others I can come up with.
  3. Storm

Storm Amity Teen

carole marsh!
    My third grade teacher used to read us her books in class. Mystery books for kids with real settings and very teachey (especially about historical facts) but I liked them so much as a kid that I bought others to read outside of class. :)
    I just googled her and there are a lot more books than there used to be.
    Carole Marsh Mysteries-All
  4. Linda

Linda Amity's Focus Member

those look so great. They don't seem to have them in our libraries. :( Bummer!
  5. mom2jflc

mom2jflc Menagerie Mama

Wow Val, can I go to your school? Sure looks like fun.

My kids have the Weird California book and all three have been fascinated with it at one time or another, despite their differences in age.
  6. BlueRoseMama

Thank you! That was EXACTLY like what I was looking for. I need more, but my library has a few of these. Three on WA state alone. How cool!

Thanks!
  7. BlueRoseMama

Thanks. :) I have my moments. Homeschooling is great... except when it's not. ;)