Algebra?????

Discussion in 'Alternative Learning' started by punkin, Apr 1, 2010.

1. punkin

punkin Amity's Focus Member

Last edited: Apr 10, 2011
  2. Katie

Katie Amity's Focus Member

fwiw, I still have to refer to the google for the rules with negative numbers. Always. Then I have to check my work with a calculator. I just can't get the visual in my head on which way the numbers move up and down the line.

My dd is just like me. She just got through negative numbers in her pre-algebra class, scored poorly through the whole section, and is back to doing well in the new section. Which is solving for x. I don't know what it's called. It'd be a lesson that included a problem like this;

1 + 3x = 4 + 2x

Anyway, she's flying again. Rocking through lessons with minimal assistance.

Madison is in ps now, but we used to homeschool. Someone else's deadline for work has helped me stay on task with helping her. We do math every night after dinner. side by side, sometimes working the entire assignment together.

I very often get deer in headlights from her. But she's scoring well on her tests, so I know she's picking it up and I'm not just slogging her through it. Except on her negatives test, which was barely passing. Her teacher is very in-tune with the childrens' skills and weaknesses. Pointed out M's weakness for negative numbers in conferences and said "don't worry, we're moving out of those this week!" lmbo. In other words, the negative numbers weren't a deal breaker. Just a bump that will always need special attn or a handy calculator.

Gimp her through it, do all of the assignments together, then move on to the next section...add in just a couple of negative number equations every day or every other day. "Spiral learning" I think is the fancy name. Keep older principles in the loop while working on new stuff.

I know it's frustrating. I remember teaching my children very specific things from our hs'ing days and they'll come home from ps all "hey guess what I learned today?"

You guessed it, something I know they've already been taught. lmbo. Sometimes it really does take hearing it 2, 3 or more times for it to be learned. :) That's ok too.
  3. punkin

thanks katie for taking time to reply.

So, you dont necessarily think it would be a bad thing to just keep moving on? I was afraid to keep going if she didnt get this.
  4. Katie

Katie Amity's Focus Member

I don't. I can recall in my own educational experiences having ah-ha! moments weeks, months, or even years later.

If her curriculum doesn't already add in past topics, I'd add them in to her daily work from time to time. Not a lot, just 1 or 2 equations that involve anything she's weak in. Moving along and succeeding in new topics may help restore some confidence that will allow her to take it on again later.

The thing is, especially with algebra, she'll see negatives again. a lot. Maybe the next time it'll click, maybe it won't. But at the very least, you can be assured she gets plenty of exposure.

finally, sometimes we just have to concede victory. Maybe she'll never get it. (way too early for this) But there's a time when you have to teach children to use the tools around them too.

I love telling the story of my fil. Brilliant, probably near genius in math and sciences, but he couldn't spell to save his life. He never went anywhere without a pocket dictionary in his suit coat because he wasn't ever going to be caught appearing uneducated. tools.
  5. xt

xt Active Member

Negative numbers are hard, conceptually. Is she good at abstract thinking yet? When she is, it will click at some point, I think. I couldn't do negatives when I was 11, but when I saw them again at 12 or 13 (I changed school systems, and they weren't on the plate again for a while), they were easy.
  6. punkin

Last edited: Apr 10, 2011