AIOs or separate????

Discussion in 'Cloth Diapering' started by bluebird, Feb 17, 2005.

1. bluebird

bluebird New Member

question... i've been thinking that AIOs are the best way to go. But are they??? i guess i just hate the stack of old Cuddlers and Kushies i have that require covers all the time! they get so soaked, but they're so thin too! And i hate the Kushies vinyl covers i have. they wick at the legs every time. And my Kushies AIOs are just more trim than the combination diaper and cover.

Do you HAVE to use covers all the time if your diaper is absorbant enough on its own? does such a diaper exist??? what do you do??? some diapers out there are soooooo cute, but what's the point if you have to cover it up anyway?

Is it better to only use a coverless diaper while baby is awake to let skin breathe? Or will she wet her clothes by doing this?

I've heard that wool covers are good for using overnight. Any thoughts on what kinds of covers are best for different situations? i.e. nightime, day naps, long car rides, outings, etc.

Thanx for your thoughts! I'm quite green still when it comes to modern cloth diapering! :confused:
  2. anikasmama

anikasmama Toot Sweet!

We use prefolds or contours for newborns, but from about 6 months on we have used mostly AIOs because they are easier (I got tired of covers too). I also didn't like having a fitted dipe with elastic at the legs and a cover with elastic at the legs because they seemed to make dds legs redder than just an AIO.

Some people let their dc run around in just a fitted when they aren't wearing clothing, but I think if you are putting clothes on you would be best off with a cover.

I love wool for night-time. In the warmer months, I just put dd in a fitted (with an extra doubler) and wool soaker and she's good to go. In the winter we use wool longies - never had a leak or wicking that way.

hth
  3. bluebird

bluebird New Member

I definitely want to try wool covers and get rid of my vinyl ones. When I was looking for some online the other day, I saw some that have nice soft cuffs instead of skinny elastic at the legs. They looked far more comfortable and then you probably wouldn't get red marks right? I think it was the Aristocrat I was looking at. VERY expensive though! I might try to make some like it though. When I get the hang of this sewing thing!
    ;)
  4. bluebird

bluebird New Member

wool covers opinions wanted

Ok, so I'm definitely going to try using wool covers at least at night time for now. Shame of me, but I've always used a sposie at night time because I didn't know there was something out there in the cloth diaper realm that would keep my baby dry all night long. :eek: So anyway, I've heard that Babyology makes excellent wool covers that are just like the Aristocrats but way cheaper. I'm thinking of using these for night time. Any opinions on them?

And has anyone tried the Poochies system of diapers? I wonder how a fitted Poochies and a PoochiesWrap in wool would work for the day time! Any of you tried it?
  5. punkin

punkin Amity's Focus Member

I prefer to use prefolds w/ a snappi. I dont like fitteds because they take longer to dry than prefolds, the elastic issue as stated above, and I just dont think they are as absorbant as a prefold. And prefolds are much cheaper.

Once baby is up and moving around, around the house I use a prefold w/ no cover. Most of the time my dd is in a shirt, prefold, and socks. LOL. If we go somewhere, I just add cover and pants.

I do use a wool cover at night. The one i use was pretty much free. I made my own. I used a wool sweater and followed a pattern online and it works wonderfully. If you sew at all (I'm a beginner), it was really easy. I think it was on the borntolove site, but I'm not sure. If you are interested in it, I could try to find the link or maybe someone else knows.

Most of the time I double diaper at night. I use 2 prefolds layed together then put on, snappi and pull wool cover over it all. It works really well for us. DD's skin feels so much better when its in wool as compared to being in PUL all night.
  6. firstloves

firstloves promoting AP

We use AIO's all day pretty much. LOve them! Quick drying is our favorite though.
    For nighttime we use a FB or a good hemp fitted with wool cover.

We let ds run coverless when he has a rash etc. But this is rare!
  7. basilfern3

basilfern3 missing N.Y.

I've ordered several wool covers from here and love them!
    http://binary.co.nz/babyw.html

I ordered a pair of wool crawlers as well and use them all the time!

I also have the wool longsies from Babyology.
  8. bluebird

bluebird New Member

I ordered a couple of wool covers from Babyology a couple of days ago on ebay. One for each of my girls. I can't WAIT to try them out! I've heard such fabulous things about wool!

And they won't arrive soon enough. DD1 has an awful bum rash! She only wore cloth for the first 3 months of her life, then we switched to sposies because the cloth diapers and covers we had were horrible! We quit in frustration. I didn't know there were so many other dipes and covers out there to try! But we wanted to try it again with DD2 because DD1 has suffered so often from diaper rash and I've attributed it to the chemicals in the sposies. We're bent on detoxifying our home anyway so the sposies have to go! So I'm gathering fabric and such to make my own dipes for the girls plus I've ordered a few online. I should have DD1 in cloth dipes in the next couple of weeks hopefully! :)

What are wool crawlers by the way????
  9. basilfern3

basilfern3 missing N.Y.

Wool crawlers are wool pants w/ feet
  10. LatteLover

LatteLover Amity's Focus Member

I like all diapers because they all have advantages and disadvantages. I love a prefold and a wrap style cover for a newborn.... for older kids I like fitteds. I prefer a fitted diaper for a wool cover, especially a pull on wool cover. And, I like AIOs for my diaper bag or for when I am just really, really in a hurry. I have a little bit of everything. If I had to pick a favorite, I would do prefolds/wraps until they grow out of the infant prefolds, and then switch to a good AIO system. The one style I do not like is pocket diapers.

Emily
  11. bluebird

bluebird New Member

Yeah, pocket diapers don't interest me at all! I'm all about easy and it seems like it would be a pain to be stuffing the pockets after every wash. I don't think DH would like them either. I'm lucky... DH doesn't mind changing diapers at all and is totally in favour of using cloth dipes! But I don't want to complicate things.

Here's a question... why does everyone like prefolds so much? Aren't they like the diapers our mothers used? Aren't fitteds easier to put on a baby? And I've read that prefolds don't hold in the bf poo very well. So what's so good about them? I must be missing something... :confused:
  12. Shoshoni

Shoshoni New Member

Stuck in the neverending cycle of cleaning
    I didn't do prefolds with a newborn, but with a toddler. I love them. They are easy to launder and are very absorbant. I have the proraps brand and proraps covers with them.:D
  13. Dicey

Dicey New Member

I like pocket diapers for my DC. DC is a heavy wetter and pockets can be stuffed to be absorbant enough. Prefolds just did not absorb enough. One pee and his cover would wick. I did that for a few months and then I slowly built up a supply of pockets. I also like pocket fitteds (again-cause I can stuff em ;) ) and wool.

When I first posted on a board I was told to just change him more. ONE pee is enough to make him wick out of most diapers and I changed him 20 times a day when he was a newborn. I still change him about 10-12 as a toddler. I can't stand the thought of him in a wet diaper!!
  14. bluebird

bluebird New Member

My wool covers arrived!!!!!! ;cool: I am soooooo anxious to try them out!!!! But I'm not sure if they're ready to go just yet. I inquired whether or not I had to lanolize them first or anything but haven't heard back yet. But definitely this weekend, both girls will be trying them out!

I think I'm going to make a couple of nite time doublers though for their dipes. Put a layer of microfleece on top to help keep them dry.

The only diapers I have that require a cover are either Cuddlers or Kushies. So I'm thinking I'll put one of those on them, but I'll add a doubler made of 2 layers of sweatshirt fleece and topped with microfleece. Then I'll pull the wool cover over it all.

Think that should do it??????
  15. ~SolsticeMama~

~SolsticeMama~ New Member

Pocket dipes are great great great for nightime. Ds is a super heavy wetter and nothing worked for the longest time until I put him in an HH stuffed with a premium pre-fold and a gerber gauze and then an Aristocrat on top of that. The fleece on the inside of the HH next to his bum keeps him nice and dry while the inserts are soaked.

When I first started cding I vowed I'd never use pre-folds and pins. I couldn't understand why anyone would with the huge selection of other dipes out there. But then gradually the more I got involved in cding and saw other mamas feeling the pre-fold love I decided to give them a try but only with snappis. I loved the homespun look of my son in an unbleached cotton prefold and a white t-shirt crawling around the room. I quickly switched to pins since they give a much better fit than a snappi IMO tho other mommas might say the opposite. There are different folds you can use to get the maximum, ahem "holding power' out of your pre-fold depending on the size of your babies thighs. I loved experimenting with the different folds. However once ds got toddling he wasn't keen on staying still long enough for me to get the pre-fold folded and properly pinned so we haven't used our ubcpfs for awhile now.