AIO's - how long should they last?

Discussion in 'Cloth Diapering' started by Ocelot, Mar 21, 2005.

1. Ocelot

Ocelot New Member

This is the second time I have bought 30 AIO's and had them give up on me.

First time I had 30 Honey Boys made for me with top quality fabrics and they lasted 1.5 years. The inner fabric just gave out.

Slightly over a year ago I again bought 30 AIO's (a well known brand, highly recommended). They are fading fast, snaps popping off, elastic giving out, leaking and holes in the outer fabric.

Is this normal?
    These have been used on older toddlers so 30 diapers are plently. They get washed every 3 days, gentle, no bleach.

Ugh. I am about to need all new diapers and really hate to fork over $350+ again to have them not last till ds is potty trained. After 4.5 years of cloth I am tempted to switch to disposables ;pop:

Brand suggestions welcomed too.
  2. naturalmama

naturalmama New Member

AIO's

I've had the same problem. I think it is just a given that AIO's just dont' last as long as a combo. I would reccomend that you switch to diapers and covers. I've had much more success with those.

Aileen
  3. my2girlz

my2girlz Amity's Focus Member

I've been using some of mine for 2+ years w/o any problems. Do you have hard water?
  4. freedomlover

freedomlover ReaderOfThreads

My experience as a former Diaper Wahm is

that some people have harder water which is rougher on AIOs than usual. Could this be the case with your laundering?
    Usually, if you have a big stash of diapers.....AIOs tend to last longer (elastic, fabric wear-wise). I still have some that were used 3 years and are pretty moisture resistant and not tattered looking yet.
  5. herc

herc Amity's Focus Member

i do not have hard water, and I have many many lukes drawers that the elastic has given up the ghost in. I also have probably 3-4 that arent very waterproof anymore. Liam is 3 and started wearing toddler AIO's at 6m. Most of them we have were bought between 6 and 18m. It also aggravates me, especially when the elastic just goes in a perfectly good diaper.

To answer your question, I have no idea how long they SHOULD last, that has just been my experience. I think I would be less aggravated if the entire dipe was just worn out. Instead I have diapers and AiO's with no elastic that are in gc otherwise.

heather
  6. LatteLover

LatteLover Amity's Focus Member

Wow, I think a year is pretty good for AIO. I mean, think of what those dipes go through! Sitting soaking wet in urine waiting to be washed, washed, rinsed, often double rinsed. 30 diapers... I would be washing twice a week. So being washed over 100 times is pretty good I think. I don't think most of my clothing would hold up that well! I know it doesn't!

Emily
  7. Silvery_skies

Silvery_skies MOMMY of BOYS

Lukes Drawers will replace the elastic in their diapers for $2 per diaper. Just a heads up. :D
  8. ZandLsMom

ZandLsMom New Member

I don't know what happened, but I recently lost TEN of my diapers after a year of use due to dead elastic. It happened all in the same load of laundry. We used them, I washed them, and WHAM, no elastic when they came out of the dryer. It sucks.

I don't know what to tell you. I have 3 AIOs that I have been using on DS since we started at 14 months (so 1.5 years) and they are still perfect, then there's the 10 that croaked just after 1 year.

I did change to DARK detergent b/c it's supposed to protect darks from the fading that chlorine in the water causes. I figure if the chlorine is fading my darks, then it's eating my elastic too.

Don't know what to tell you. Hope you figure it out.
  9. crosseyedtoad

crosseyedtoad Our twins are "3" already

Just my opinion.........

I used to make diapers and covers for Lauren, and never had any problems with them. I also have bought a TON of different WAHM made diapers and have had a few where elastic went out. I would say the bad elastic is hard to know about, no WAHM that I can imagine would use bad elastic on purpose. Also, the way most WAHMs put elastic in makes it difficult to replace. Maybe they are just sadly using shotty elastic. I would imagine they would switch as soon as they realized there was a problem though. I almost always line dry my diapers though, so have not really had many problems with them falling apart.

As for AIO's, I never really bought many because I realized right off the dot they do NOT hold up as well as covers & diapers do, and IMO I never found an AIO that worked as well absorbency wise as a great WAHM diaper and cover. I'd say before I would switch to disposables i'd go back to diaper/cover combo. I would use a good cover over an AIO that wicked alone (no shotty elastic) though before I would invest in new diapers.

I am so sorry this is happening to you. I imagine it is a real bummer! Oh, also, if you have not, please do let the WAHM know the problems you are having. They can't fix it if they don't know what is broken, kwim?

:big hug:
  10. cathleenc

cathleenc dirty. good dirt.

Bumkins states that their AIOs should last an average 150 washings. I figure that to be about 1.5 yrs if you are washing every 3rd day or so. That sounds reasonable to me - most kids are out of sizes s, m, and even large before 1.5 yrs are up. I never plan on AIOs being hand me downs.

As for elastic going flat, it's weird how it all goes at once, isn't it? I've packed diapers away and pulled them out to find half gone flat and the others just fine. I don't really know the why of the timing but I always figure that its the ammonia in the diaper pail working its wonders.

hth, Cathy
  11. Liba

Liba davening mama

Well it is late so my math may be off but I figured out that you spent about 8 cents per use per diaper. Considering that disposables are more like 24 cents a diaper you spent a third the price before washing for the most convenient, highest cost type of diapers which are known to be have the least longitiuty. That is actually pretty encouraging to me! Since cloth diapering with AIOs saves a significant amount of money I have probably done pretty well over the last many years with my prefolds and fitteds and that isn't even why I use them!

Even if you are using the laundrymat you are saving money AND the environemnt AND your child from chemicals.

I am sorry that your diapers didn't last longer, but if you do the math you will see that disposables really are throwing money in the trash.