About the Ottobre 3/05 cloth diaper

Discussion in 'Sewing & Craft' started by acrystalball, Aug 2, 2005.

1. acrystalball

acrystalball Tree huggin' mama

I use CPFs, so I was wondering if I could alter the pattern a bit to just make covers rather than diapers? Can I use PUL on the inside, and as the binding of the cover?

Never made a diaper cover before, so I'm wondering....
  2. martinanne

martinanne Loving my girls!

Yeah, that shouldn't be a problem. I would trace around the diaper pattern expanding it by 1/2" all around. Yes, you can use PUL on the inside. I'm not sure why you want to bind it with PUL? I haven't made the Ottobre diaper yet (although i traced it off and might get to it today), but I don't believe there was any binding??? Did you mean you wanted to make the cover a single layer and bind the raw edges with PUL? You could do that, but it would be hard since PUL is so slippery. What I would do instead is make the cover two layers (either outer PUL plus inner microfleece, or outer print plus inner PUL) so you can construct the cover the same way as the diaper instructions (sewing the elastic to the seam allowances, etc...) minus the enclosed soaker, of course.
  3. warneral

warneral Don't Sell Me Fabric!!

I agree to make it bigger. How about wool? you could do a 2 layer felted wool turned and topstitched. Wool jersey is best.

Or you could buy some diaper FOE (foldover elastic) - I have some actually if you want some - and bind that over the PUL.

But if you don't have wool covers - you should try them :p
  4. kerc

kerc New Member

:D Alison do you have any from when ruby was small? I'm looking for a handful of newborn diaper covers. My dd was >9 lbs and my us suggested a big full term baby as well (of course those things aren't accurate, but all things are pointing toward big baby this time too!). I want to buy 2-3 wool wraps preferably GN as we don't know the sex of the baby.
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2005
  5. faythe

faythe New Member

I'd make it one layer of PUL and then bind with either a single fold PUL binding or FOE. That's how I make all my covers. I like the look of the PUL binding, but FOE is faster.
  6. acrystalball

I just traced the pattern and it seems pretty big for the sizes they indicate....do you think I really need to increase it still? I'm thinking of pul binding because I don't have any FOE and I want to make some covers TODAY, lol. I thought I read somewhere that you have to bind with something non-wicking so that it stays dry on the outside. Faythe, when you say single fold PUL binding, do you mean that the edges of the binding are raw? (The cut piece of binding just folded in half and attached in one layer of stitching?)

I have wool covers but none the right size for dd now...she's 15 1/2 lbs at 14 weeks, and for some reason I only have nb small and large wool covers (I think I lent them and they never returned :( ). I have a piece of PUL that I bought from someone here that I should use, and since I'm short on med covers I thought I'd get to work!

One more question -- since the pul is laminated, can I just use a straight stitch on it?

Thanks for the help!!!!
  7. Amethyst

Amethyst New Member

Hmmm.... just to let you know, I actually amde that diaper and it's big enough to fit on my 46 lb almost 5 year old ds (just tried it on him to see just how big it actually was!). And that was WITHOUT adding seam allowances. :eyes:
  8. warneral

Jo are you talking about the one in the latest magazine? There are several sizes in it....

Kristin I'm afraid I sold off all her diapers and covers as she grew out of them :(

Crystal since the PUL is a knit (right?) then you should just cut it across the web with the stretch although I've never done what you;re gonna do :)
  9. grtlyblesd

grtlyblesd Amity's Focus Member

I made one for Furby yesterday. I did the 74/80 size. He wears about an 18 mos size clothing. Fits great. I was going to post a S&S this morning, but sewingmamas was down, so I can't show a pic right now.

Honestly, though, to the OP, my advice would be: Get the New Conceptions diaper cover pattern. www.poopockets.com or post an ISO for it. Great covers, great fit, and you won't have to tinker with the pattern.

If you don't have your heart set on making them, I'm trying to get rid of Furby's baby covers. I have a NB Stacinator wool, a nb stacinator so simple snap, and 4 covers made by me. I'd sell the whole lot for $15 ppd. They've only been through one baby, (and he was 9#) so they're not worn out, I just want them out of here.
  10. martinanne

martinanne Loving my girls!

Well it does say the seam allowances are already included in the diaper pattern. But I didn't realize it was so huge. I traced it off (size 3) but haven't made it up yet. From the tracing it looks generous, but not overly huge for my dd's size (in comparison to CuddleBuns™ Single-Sized and Poochies™ size Medium which is what she currently wears). We'll see once I sew it up. Thanks for the heads up!

I would go ahead and expand the diaper pattern if you ever plan to use it with fitted diapers, but if you're only ever going to use it with prefolds, then I guess you really wouldn't need to expand it now that I think about it.

Good luck with the PUL binding. That just sounds very difficult to me. Never actually tried it. But PUL is so darn slippery and you really can't iron it, can you? I can't wait to hear how it went for you. I ought to just try it. I've always been too afraid! :eek:
  11. milosmom

milosmom New Member

yeah, i think using pul for binding sounds really tough, too. the only reason to use binding is if you want a cottony print on the outside or if you're only using one layer. it would be easier, for me anyway, to use a layer of microfleece or suedecloth for the inner and turn and topstitch it. i also like to use a cotton knit print for the inner and t&t, but those are obviously one use covers.

eta: another idea if you really want to use a binding is to use strips of microfleece. it would be nice and soft for baby and easier than pul. since it doesn't fray (or is that frey?) you can just fold it once around the edge of your cover so there's a single layer on each side. then go back and trim the fleece very close to the stitching. i think it ends up looking really nice this way and less bulky. plus, you can make your strips wider than you need so it's easier to hold a catch while you're sewing, kwim?
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2005
  12. Pixie's~Mama

Pixie's~Mama Seamstress in a RTW world

I believe it said that seam allowances were already included on the diaper.

Also, are you talking about the pattern in the newest magazine? Or are you referring to the free one on the site? I was rather hoping that the sizing would be better on the new patterns.

Thanks for reminding me though ~ I'm making baby gifts for a friend today and had forgotten that I wanted to try this. Maybe I'll start with the smallest size? LOL
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2005
  13. Amethyst

Amethyst New Member

Come to think of it, it was the one off the free site. I didn't know there was a newer one. So the new one fits better? All I can say is DON'T use the one on the free site! lol!
  14. Nutmeg

Nutmeg Pencils down :(

Ack why don't I have my Ottobre yet??
  15. Peppermint

Peppermint New Member

POo I have no baby bottoms to try one on but I think I will make one anyway and compare to the ones I make or made
  16. Pixie's~Mama

Pixie's~Mama Seamstress in a RTW world

I finished one. I do think it's a little big. Or at least the smallest size pattern was the one that I cut and it compares side by side with my own small pattern.

Hmmm I guess this is really off topic from the OP. I'm sorry to have hijacked your thread. LOL

Here is is though~
    [​IMG]
  17. warneral

how cute meagan! Love it in velour!
  18. grtlyblesd

grtlyblesd Amity's Focus Member

Cute, Megan! :)
  19. Peppermint

Peppermint New Member

Cute I love the velour.. Can you post picts of your small against this one.. How about everyone post a side by side comp. so that other new moms can get some size idea.. I don't need any diapers but I will do one. would you say the small is a what age? I have some snuggleups to compare to also.
  20. acrystalball

Well since the pattern is included with my Ottobre, I can't justify buying another pattern, even if I have to tweak it a bit...I was already planning on adding gussets,too. I have a cotton print for the outside and some PUL for the inside of the cover. Maybe, if the earth is alignment tonight I *might* get to make one... I have enough material to make 3, so we'll see how this goes.... I decided to trace the smallest size since my med. cover seems comparable, even a bit smaller, to the Ottobre pattern. We shall see :)
    No worries about the hijack, the velour dipe is really cute!